• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are SSD's viable yet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BranNutz

I heard about alot of problems with the early versions of the SSD's are they viable yet and if so who makes the best one at the moment? I heard intel's is supposed to rock them all but it's not available yet.

IT's only the cheap SSDs like the OCZ core and supertalent things, o'm pretty sure the MLC chips are the onces with the problems.

i'm not too sure.

Depends on what you are doing. I put an MTRON one into my T400 yesterday, and it didn't make enough sense to me to keep it.

Intel's mobile SSD is out, it is the X25M. So far it only comes 80GB, and is ~$600. It is based on MLC chips, but has a very good controller, so the problems with the cheap OCZ ones doesn't apply here. Even with the MLC chips, the X25M is rediciously fast, reading at almost 200mbps. Here is a link to a review:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4647

i think mainstream SSDs still has a little bit to go
the random write problem needs to be resolved
i've tried the OCZ Core (series 1) and the Patriot Warp and both do tend to lag a bit (the OCZ lags a lot)

i thought MLC > SLC? Isn't the M for multiple and the S for single?

Okay all, but if I'm willing to spend ~$500 on a 64GB drive what's the best out there? Are there any benchmarks? I'm unhappy with my OCZ and don't think I could go back to a Raptor since I'm spoiled by silent hard drives. :)

It is the other way around Tom. SLC drives seem to be faster than MLC drives. Some info can be found HERE. Another nice read can be found HERE

I am most definitely in the market for fast non-magnetic storage, but I'll hold off till the next iteration of SSD drives. As corpsejockey will tell you, almost every week I have a magnetic HDD story for him. ;)

Back