• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Color LaserJet vs Inkjets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have never owned a color laserjet, I had considered getting a new inkjet to print out some PDF files with color, they contain both graphics and colored text as well. I know an inkjet will do a fine job I have owned 3 so far.

But I have noticed that HP now has color laserjets that are within reach. I was wondering if anyone has used them and how good they were at reproducing color? The price point I'm looking at is at or below 400 dollars.

Thanks in advance.

Lemme give you the lowdown on printers.

There is really one type of printer for everyone and what that is depends on a few things.

Lasers:

Pros:

1) Cost of printing is cheap compared to inkjets. You are paying maybe closer to 9 cents per page as opposed to 25 cents per page.

2) Toner doesn't dry out whereas inkjet cartridges can dry out.

3) Toner is less likely to smudge do to moisture, for some people, this means a lot.

Cons:

1) They tend to be slower than inkjets, especially color machines as it has to do 4 passes (one for black, cyan, magenta, yellow) which means color prints take about 4x longer than b/w. A lot of laser color printers are going to do between 4 and 15 color sleets per minute.

2) Lasers give you a lower cost in the long run but the initial cost is pretty big. A lot of machines use toners that cost between $80 - $200 each x all 4 that you need means anywhere from $320 to $800 for a full round of ink.

3) Lasers are not know for their photo quality. Inkjets are much better suited for photo use.

When it comes down to it you only have to ask yourself a few questions.

1) How much? That's is, how much printing are you going to be doing? 100 pages a month? Or are you going to be doing 5000 pages a month?

2) What are you going to be printing? Do you need color? Is it going to be photographs?

If you are looking for high quantities then stay away from your average inkjet or you'll be running to the store for ink on a daily bases and paying threw the nose. Most consumer inkjets cartridges have a advertised yield of ~200 pages.

HP offers some really nice printers that use their #88 ink cartridges. They come in standard and high yield, with the high yield cartridges giving you over ~1000 pages which puts the yield up there in the laser range, but the cartridges themselves are inexpensive. You get a similar if not cheaper cost per page, you get upwards of 30 some pages per minute and you get the photo quality of a inkjet.

I see it as the best of both worlds.

Wow, thats long, but I hope it helps?

Lemme give you the lowdown on printers.

There is really one type of printer for everyone and what that is depends on a few things.

Lasers:

Pros:

1) Cost of printing is cheap compared to inkjets. You are paying maybe closer to 9 cents per page as opposed to 25 cents per page.

2) Toner doesn't dry out whereas inkjet cartridges can dry out.

3) Toner is less likely to smudge do to moisture, for some people, this means a lot.

Cons:

1) They tend to be slower than inkjets, especially color machines as it has to do 4 passes (one for black, cyan, magenta, yellow) which means color prints take about 4x longer than b/w. A lot of laser color printers are going to do between 4 and 15 color sleets per minute.

2) Lasers give you a lower cost in the long run but the initial cost is pretty big. A lot of machines use toners that cost between $80 - $200 each x all 4 that you need means anywhere from $320 to $800 for a full round of ink.

3) Lasers are not know for their photo quality. Inkjets are much better suited for photo use.

When it comes down to it you only have to ask yourself a few questions.

1) How much? That's is, how much printing are you going to be doing? 100 pages a month? Or are you going to be doing 5000 pages a month?

2) What are you going to be printing? Do you need color? Is it going to be photographs?

If you are looking for high quantities then stay away from your average inkjet or you'll be running to the store for ink on a daily bases and paying threw the nose. Most consumer inkjets cartridges have a advertised yield of ~200 pages.

HP offers some really nice printers that use their #88 ink cartridges. They come in standard and high yield, with the high yield cartridges giving you over ~1000 pages which puts the yield up there in the laser range, but the cartridges themselves are inexpensive. You get a similar if not cheaper cost per page, you get upwards of 30 some pages per minute and you get the photo quality of a inkjet.

I see it as the best of both worlds.

Wow, thats long, but I hope it helps?

That is helpful information. I would really only be using the color laserjet to print color. I own a HP LaserJet 1200, not so fast anymore, but works fine, not going to replace it.

I am aware of the toner cartridge price. For the HPs I looked at, toner is $70/color basically. With four colors, you are almost better off buying a new color laserjet (because you'd have a fresh new warranty), instead of replacing the toner cartridges haha. I that on a review a year ago.

My print out put wont' be large less then a 500 pages a month. I agree, ink smudges from inkjet, which is why I own a LaserJet.

For my purposed I may just get a decent but cheap Epson Injet. I'm not sure yet though. I have owned Epson inkjets and they did a great job for color. A few years ago and more HP inkjets had a bad rap. SO I went with Epson, now however I am unsure how good they are or not as the case may be.

I wouldn't be using the printer to print out digital images from digital cameras however. I never do that.

Any more input is appreciated

If smudging is a concern then it looks like its laser.

When it comes to inkjets HP is really ahead of the curve and their ink costs are relatively low when compared to companies like canon.

You've got inkjets that use multiple cartridges, this can sometime be good or bad. The ones that use 5 color cartridges (light cyan and light magenta included) will give you much better photo quality.

But if you want the best bang for your buck and you wont be printing very much, the HP inkjets that use the tricolor cartridges are a pretty good choice. You don't have to worry about print heads, only 2 cartridges you have to worry about, and between 200 and 400 pages per cartage and about 20 - 30 ppm depending on the model.

Epsons are alright, but they aren't really going to give you any better performance and they use multiple color cartridges.

Inkjet cartridges and inktanks are available cheaply on eBay. I have a Brother MFC-440CN, a complete set of Brother tanks will cost me $63. On eBay, 15$ or so, and that includes the shipping. So if cost is your main concern....

And yes, I have found the print quality to be every bit as good...

Klag

Inkjet cartridges and inktanks are available cheaply on eBay. I have a Brother MFC-440CN, a complete set of Brother tanks will cost me $63. On eBay, 15$ or so, and that includes the shipping. So if cost is your main concern....

If cost is the concern, it also might also be worth shopping (on Ebay or elsewhere) for cheap replacement *cartridges* first and then finding the printers that use them. Seriously.

I have an HP 3600 colour laser jet.

I am really happy with it. Previous inkjets caused endless hassles with jammed pages, smudged ink, dud ink tanks, and ink callibration.

I will never buy an inkjet again, unless it is for photos or lots of graphics.

This 3600 is truly amazing, has never given any problems at all. The toner is a bit expensive in the sense that you are paying much more in one go (difficult if you are on a budget) but it pays off in the end.

The joy of being able to print out 200 page plus assignments with one click without worry is a dream.

The previous inkjets were also HP's, some old, some pretty new.

I am not sure if it is in your budget though.

Sure the resolution is a little low, but I would go for it. Print the pretty colour title pages and photos with an inkjet if you want :D

Yep I know all about multiple ink colors. the more the better, hence my reason for getting an Epson years ago with five ink colors. Cost of the ink for inkjet not a concern.
I'm also aware of things like ink drop size as well. I did my research back then, and color laser jets weren't affordable. My laserjet was 600 dollars back in 2000, now look how cheap they are. That's great. I may just wait for colorlaserjets to reach that point.

Still sounds like color laserjets at a low price point haven't caught up to the resolution of inkjets YET.

And yes, I have found the print quality to be every bit as good...

Klag

What "cheap' brand did you buy from? I have a Canon Pixma MP780 and purchased cheap ink and did print well in the very beginning. However, as time went on the visible lines and color mismatch proved to be not such a good purchase after all.

Back