• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VR Headset Advice(Valve Index kit)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dfonda

Senior Golfer
Anyone using VR?

I am about to get a Headset and the Valve index is 90% of my choice. Unfortunately there is 0.0% that I would sign up for FB so the Oculus is out (Unless there is a hack to avoid signing up?) No answer needed if that is illegal.

The Index seems as good (Or maybe better) than the HTC Vive. Cost at this price point doesn't' matter. I would get a PS but they seem unavailable and I do not want to wait for the PS 2 version.

My sig shows my PC is up to the task. Going to be playing VR Golf and my wife should get a kick out of the travel Apps available. We both got a kick out Googles headset as low end as it is.

Any input welcome. I was going to order the kit soon at $999 from Steam.
Thank's in advance.

EDIT: Looking at the HP Reverb G2 at $600....

Oh looked at a lot of reviews...Tested listener and Norm, Will and Jeremy have been a good source of reviews as those guys have used them all.

Last edited:
I'm not a Facebooker but have an account. Mostly use messenger for contact and entertainment videos. Facebook (Meta) isn't going to get much out of me but I played with the oculus last week, came home, and bought one. Excellent price point, games are cheap and can be used with PC VR games from what I have read. Haven't tried that yet so don't know for sure. What I do like is that it's standalone so you're not tied to anything.
Not trying to make you one of the herd just relaying my experience.

I share those same sentiments. My kids have one and I get to play around with it... pretty cool.

That said, high-end steam ones are better from a resolution/visual acuity standpoint IIRC. If I were to do it all over again and my kids had the occulus, I'd get the Vive/Index.

I'm not a Facebooker but have an account. Mostly use messenger for contact and entertainment videos. Facebook (Meta) isn't going to get much out of me but I played with the oculus last week, came home, and bought one. Excellent price point, games are cheap and can be used with PC VR games from what I have read. Haven't tried that yet so don't know for sure. What I do like is that it's standalone so you're not tied to anything.
Not trying to make you one of the herd just relaying my experience.
Yeah maybe if I can make a burner account I would get it...Every review has it listed as editors choice...The freedom to move around and still tether for high quality would be perfect.

EDIT: Yeah that is too much trouble...I'll spend the extra money and get a wired device...I have almost no presence on the web...I'll keep it that way.

I wonder how it work if I had my daughter sign in with her account....Can you use one like that? I can use games on my Steam account ,can't I?

Can you use someone else's Facebook account for Oculus?

Yes! You can still create or maintain a unique VR profile that's separate from your Facebook identity. And if you don't want people on Oculus to find you by your Facebook name, they won't—just make your Facebook name visible to 'Only Me' in your Oculus settings.Nov 3, 2020

Last edited:
Ended up watching enough reviews to order a HP Reverb G2(V2) $600+tax. I think at that price point I'll be satisfied. If it works out , I'll be fine waiting for either a hands free solution from Valve or another Co. not involving Meta. Should be amazing to play with.

I think that you'll be happy with that. I have an older HTC Vive. I just changed the lenses for better quality images but have yet to see the improvement. Still working on a dedicated VR build for far longer than I ever thought I would. I thought I would have it up and running weeks ago.

Some games can give you motion sickness. I have Skyrim in VR and I can never make it past the intro as I get motion sick. However, I have Space Pirate Trainer and can play that all day long. I mean, I haven't but it doesn't make me ill. I think that the difference is in how the background moves.

Back