• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I just have a hot chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doz

So Ive been using a Xigmatek SD-964 since I built this thing about 2 months ago. Cooling was subpar according to all the other temps on here. So I purchased a Xigmatek HDT-1283 (from a great seller on here I might add!) and it didnt drop my temps at all :( I am using AS-5 with it. Not too much TIM and not too little (I read that guide over and over). What gives?

Temps are running about 67° full load on Prime95 and idles at 46° @ 1.32v idle and 1.328v full load. I dont believe its airflow as I have an Antec 300 case w/ the back and top fans exhausting and the other fans intaking. My system temperature is 28° (ambient is 24°).

Does my e8400 just run hot or whats the deal?

Did you apply the AS5 as shown HERE.
This method really does help the results with HDT coolers. Also look into lapping the HDT cooler and your CPU.
Could also just be a bad mount. You may have to do it again.

Are you using a retention bracket? Like this. If not, that's your problem; the regular push-pin method is terrible and doesn't give the HSF good enough contact with the CPU.

Using the Crossbow retention bracket and yes, I applied two thin lines just like described in that article.

67C at full load @ 4.0GHz sounds about right. That temp is similar to many others with similar setups. Even with a top-of-line air cooler mid-60's load temps are normal. Idle temps are virtually meaningless with these cpu's.

Yeah, I want too worried about my idle as I read idle temps might not be correct but I figured with my vcore @ 1.33 loaded it would run a bit cooler. Ive read alot are running under 60° with higher vcore using the TRUE and Tuniq (which the Xigmatek is right up there with the Tuniq, but right behind the TRUE).

Maybe itll drop off a bit once the AS5 cures, but in 2 weeks, my temps never dropped using the AS5 (24/7 computer on).

Ambient temps and lapping are the remaining factors I guess. And Prime95/Orthos load give much higher temps than the actual temps you'd be getting under normal PC usage or gaming, unless you want to run those tests 24/7 for finding prime numbers and stuff.

On cold days I get 58C in Orthos load after 11 hours, with small spikes to 60C for a second. Usual days I get 61-65C, sometimes up to 68C if it's a lame hot summer day. Even though I have 2 fans on each side of the room here, a 300mm and a 400mm, and run them on near full speed, it still gets hot unless the air conditioning is run on cold temps 24/7 (which raises electric bill by a lot). But in games it never goes over 60C even on the hottest days.

Idle temperatures are way off on 45 nm CPU's. Don't bother with it, all that matter is distance to TJMax in full-load. Keep it >20-30 and you're perfect fine.
If you want to read about temperatures on Wolfdale's take a look here (last posts made by rge yesterday and today are fantastic).
If you really want to see some human temperatures on idle try RealTemp and do a idle calibration, but it's only a placebo effect because distance to TJMax is the same calibrated or uncalibrated.
This is my example in idle at 23.75°C room temperature.

rt_compare.png

As you see core temperatures looks more real calibrated, but distance to TJMax is the same calibrated/uncalibrated thus is just a placebo effect. :)
I give up about temperature on my Wolfdale and I have in tray distance to TJMax. As long as it's >20-30 I'm a happy camper with Ninja fanless. :)

Back