• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabit switch transfer rates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thegreek

I bought a netgear GS108 switch and connected 2 computers to it, I copied a couple files to the other computer I only got 25 MB/s. Isn't that kinda low? Could it be by cat5 wires or is there something else I should do to improve my transfer rates. One computer has vista and the other xp.

I bought a netgear GS108 switch and connected 2 computers to it, I copied a couple files to the other computer I only got 25 MB/s. Isn't that kinda low? Could it be by cat5 wires or is there something else I should do to improve my transfer rates. One computer has vista and the other xp.

what hard disks do you have on the machines? it could be the limiting factor here

If you're using cat5 wires then that's your problem.
You'll need cat5e or cat6 for a gigabit network.
The PCs will also need gigabit LAN cards if they don't already have them.

It depends on the distances, cat5 doesn't officially support gigabit, but should be fine for it at shorter distances.
But the cat5e spec officially supports Gigabit at up to 100 metres.

Also, if he's managed 25MB/s (Bytes) then that's 200Mb/s (bits) which means he's got gigabit lan cards.

I would have thought that it's the hard drives that are the limiting factor.
I've just done a test on my gigiabit network and I've had 300Mb/s from a server with 3x1Tb in RAID 5 to my desktop with a 36Gb Raptor. I think the Raptor is the limit here.

Mephi

There was also a vista network problem, make sure that your windows install is patched and upto date.

Does your switch support jumbo frames? If not, your speeds will be lower than you expected.

Your speed is normal for untuned file transfers over gigabit using XP.

Back