• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX HD7970 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dotd0t

Registered
Hello,
I am in some dire need of help.

I have my computer that i am trying to play wow on which i can i run a GT420 GPU right now (low end gpu)
Motherboard MSI 7778
Ram: 8 GB
PSU: 600w
I forget the CPU because i am working on 2 computers my wifes and mine. I believe is a AMD A8-5500

I installed the XFX HD7970 GPU. It turns on and runs proper fans spin.
1 6 pin connector and 1 8 pin which is using an adapter from 2 molex to a 8 pin connector.

I can open Unreal (game) which gets around 300-320 FPS if not limited. (NO CRASH)
But i play WoW alot which got around 100fps at Mid-High Graphic Settings (when it turns on for the minute or less)

Sometimes when i open WoW it crashed instantly with either a BSoD(critical_process_died) or Vertical lines.
Sometimes it'll get into game and it will be very laggy/freeze a couple seconds at a time. Then it will crash computer.
This also last night currupted my startup files so i am trying to get the computer back on as it wont start up now (bad_system_config info)

I sent the card back to the guy i bought it from and he sent me his other one which he uses every day and it does the same.
I marked the old one to be sure it wasn't the same card that he sent back.

Someone give me some idea's on why this keeps crashing when trying to play wow it crashed in less then a minute or instantly.
Working on getting pc back running again as well.

:welcome:

My first thought is that Windows 8/8.1 is probably not the best choice in general. I would use my Windows 8 key to get Windows 10 for free.
My second thought is that this may be a driver issue. Try rolling back or forward the driver version. When testing different drivers, get DDU to uninstall your current driver before installing a different one.
Thirdly, while not completely obvious, audio drivers can cause similar issues. Update all drivers to ensure proper operation.
Finally, run a program like memtest86+ to test your RAM. It is possible that WoW is reacher upper levels of your RAM that are defective.

I did install the the AMD drivers same thing. Switched back to Microsoft drivers same thing.
removed ram around same thing.

Game runs fine with the GT420 and the Dedicated graphics.
I was gonna run memtest last night after it crashed but then it currupted the startup files of computer so i will def run that when i get home tonight.
I did NOT try to uninstall the NVidia drivers. I will try that tonight as well using the DDU you suggested.

I just got the HD7970 as a budget but good card to get better than 30fps at low. as i only game maybe an hour or 2 a night if that.. Havent got the card to run WoW yet.

Thank you for the fast response and i will try that when i get home. Any more ideas let me know.

Also i just bought another computer as i am making this one that wont accept the HD7970 for my wife to use to play with me.
What i just bought for $500 is:
B450 MB with AMD Ryzen 1600 with a RX570 card. 12gb 3200ghz ram. That runs WoW really well :D! (100 fps on high/ultra) i have it limited to that so the card doesnt work so hard.

Thank you,
I got the computer back on I am reformatting with 8.1 then gonna upgrade to w10 then run all other tests. You do have a good point on the PSU. I will look into that next after I run memtest and make sure no other drivers are installed.

Possibly PSU voltage sag. But enough for a crash or shutdown=Likely bad caps in the PSU.

TMK, it should have also said, "BSoD or hard freeze under heavy video activity and CPU activity"

https://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity

Thank you,
I got the computer back on I am reformatting with 8.1 then gonna upgrade to w10 then run all other tests. You do have a good point on the PSU. I will look into that next after I run memtest and make sure no other drivers are installed.

I got a PC in where I did a visual inspection on the caps of a Corsair CX550. Looks like brand new to me, even when likely used more often.

Computer is updating to win10 as we speak taking forever for upgrade. I do hear a high pitch noise coming from the PSU.

I went ahead and ordered a ARESGAME AGW650 from amazon so I can have that sunday to test that. It might just be that since I hear a coil or cap high pitch whine noise. I will be running memtest hopefully tonight if this would hurry up.

What's a good program 5o see voltages of psu and everything?

Computer is updating to win10 as we speak taking forever for upgrade. I do hear a high pitch noise coming from the PSU.

I went ahead and ordered a ARESGAME AGW650 from amazon so I can have that sunday to test that. It might just be that since I hear a coil or cap high pitch whine noise. I will be running memtest hopefully tonight if this would hurry up.

What's a good program 5o see voltages of psu and everything?

Not a good sign in this scope!

ARESGAME AGW650
Scary.....650W that's really 588 (if you're lucky). And likely low quality. Not sure you did yourself a favor here. :-/

... what brand/model PSU do you have now? :chair:

Not sure of current brand but i know its 8 years old. Came out of a work computer that died. It's just a cheap brand. The aresgame has decent reviews so imma give it a shot.

Memtest86 came back good 0 errors. Gonna wait for the PSU to come before I run the card or test it again so I dont currupt the computer again.

Decent reviews from where? Amazon? They turn them on... thats as far as those reviews go... similar to newegg reviews (which don't tell you a thing...even from their 'revoewers'. At most they use software to measure voltage...which software is notoriously off. So.. I'm sure it will work, but you should look into a QUALITY power supply. ;)

Understood, just on a money crunch right now. This computer is old so I'm not planning on using it for to long as I will build a better computer later for wifey. Just want this one to hold me off for a little bit. Hopefully everything comes in tomorrow so I can test and update you all. Hoping psu will be the issue.

On the old PSU.. having to use a molex (4 pin -> 6pin/8pin) for video card is really not recommended. It works but that HD-7970 (300w) was a power hog back in the day. That gt-420 probably pulls power from motherboard (75w) so there is no strain on the psu. That new psu should be a lot better if it has the proper plugs for the video/mb. It’s not great but as long as you do not push the computer it should be fine <- no overclocking of cpu/gpu/memory = everything set to auto.

Yeah, I have adapters now the new psi has all the proper connectors.

I am not going to be overclocking that computer. Only my other gaming rig. Yes the gt420 is running only 75w pcie power.

What Earthdog and others where referring to on PSU's. Back in the day (~10 yrs) many low end/budget PSUs where rated for their speed at 25c. This would mean that a 85% 650w PSU could only = 450w at 25c/77f. When the temp inside/components got to 40c/104f, the PSU could end up 50% of it rated power = 225w. The closer you get to it's rated power of 650w, the more the PSU has to work = hot it will get and the less Watts it can supply. Many High quality PSUs (EVGA/Corsair/Asus) will rate their PSU at ~85%/90% at 40c/104f or even 50c/122f - this is what to look for.
Your current PSU is rated @ 85% of 650w with a 60% usage, this would = 450w. As long as you stay under this CPU+GPU (biggest power hogs) +memory(2 sticks)+SSD/HDD(4SSD or 2 HDD)+fans(4/6 2000rpm or less) you will be good to go :) Remember a i7-8700k is a ~95w part BUT overclocked becomes a 150w or more part. This is the same for any of the other components inside the PC.

I believe the above comments to be correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

I deleted my reply on accident..

Thank you all for the help. It was the PSU. Put the new one in. The hd7970 gpu is running 59 to 62°c in game and running good .

I appreciate all the depth and explainations u gave on the PSU never knew all that. If I have any troubles I'll be in contact.

Thanks again!

I'm glad you found the issue and have it corrected now. I'm curious though, did you have the molex to PCIe adaptor connected to a single molex cable or to two separate cables?

+1... glad that was the issue. I'd still save up your pennies and buy a quality PSU ASAP. :)

I believe the above comments to be correct. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

...This would mean that a 85% 650w PSU could only = 450w at 25c/77f.
Correction...

...what the label (on the side) says the PSU outputs, is what it will output. The efficiency does NOT take away from the PSU output. In other words, if I have a 1000W PSU that is 90% efficient when I'm pulling 1000W for my PC, the wall is taking 1100W to do so. It does NOT mean that the PSU outputs less as you have described.. :thup:

Now temperature and testing is a different story. YOu are right, some PSU tests by some MFG were rated low at 25C. At higher temperatures, output can go down. But this has nothing (little) to do with the efficiency of the unit, but how it acts under higher temperatures.

I'm glad you found the issue and have it corrected now. I'm curious though, did you have the molex to PCIe adaptor connected to a single molex cable or to two separate cables?

2 molex plugged into 2 separate harnesses coming out of the PSU as I didnt want to load up the PSU on 1 cable.

I will get a better one when I build a real gaming rig for her

As for the prior psi that was in it. I took note of the brand of it now that it is out. It was a performance power 600w dates 2010. So old and junk lol. It was giving a high pitch whine even at idle. I took the 140mm fan out of it and tossed the PSU.

Back