• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bandwidth throttling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BaconFatty

hello

I have a belkin wireless router, and between myself and my roommates there are between 3 and 5 computers on the network. I was wondering if there is software I can install on my computer or some how in the router that will allow me to set up a max bandwidth for every computer so that we all will have equal use of the internet.

your help is appreciated

hello

I have a belkin wireless router, and between myself and my roommates there are between 3 and 5 computers on the network. I was wondering if there is software I can install on my computer or some how in the router that will allow me to set up a max bandwidth for every computer so that we all will have equal use of the internet.

your help is appreciated

you all do have equal use of the 'tinternet.
if you are having problems of any sort, i would place that belkin suspect.

if you want to give certain types of traffic higher priority at the router you could look into qos if the router supports it. but this will only favour traffic at the router and no where else eg its ignored on the internet

I take it that someone on your home network is hogging all the available bandwidth causing everyone else to slow down?
Some routers will allow bandwidth throttling but I'm not sure your Belkin will do that. You'll have to check it's documentation.
Just about all of the third party router firmware allows for bandwidth throttling but you may have to buy a compatible router to use one of them.
There is also software you can install on each PC that will throttle bandwidth but the user can easily shut the software off.............if they find it on their PC. Of course, if you install this software on the sly and they find it, you may end up in the dog house or worse.
Lastly, most file sharing software (i.e. Limewire, torrent clients, etc.) can be set to limit it's bandwidth.
Basically, you'll have to talk to all of your roommates about setting limits for bandwidth usage for each PC.
All of you will have to decide on which way to implement the limitations.

hello

your help is appreciated

you could setup QoS to prioritize packets, for example.

web traffic has priority over WoW traffic or ... cs or whatever

is this what you're more worried about? or are you wanting to do a fair share policy type deal?

I would implement QoS.

Your ISP might throttle you if you pull 100% of you available bandwidth for a sustained period of time, I would recommend that you use QoS to cap the bandwidth it pulls from the ISP to 85% of your max speed. Also you need to setup QoS to prioritize everyones packets for fairness.

Back