• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QUestion regarding multiples

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

My pc oced is using a multiple of 9 and when i enable speedstep it uses a multiple of 6. Is there a way i could lower the multiple to 4 or 5? I tend to play comp games later in the day that do not require an overclocked cpu and thus allowing my room not to get too hot. I Play ut2004 if that helps any... personally i want to get my cpu down to around 1.8ghz if possible.

The lowest multiplier on a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad chip is 6x. If you always wanted to run your CPU slower (to help with the heat) you could manually set your multiplier to 6x.

speedstep/eist uses only 6x when at idle and uses max multi at load... there is no in between unless you use crystalcpuid to manage the multi with eist enabled.

it would just be easier to set the multi at 6X then using speedstep, and plus it don't take that long to change it back to 9 if you needed the extra speed boost. just restart and change it, and plus the quad cores have very good boot time anyways, a minute maximum i bet.

If you do decide to run it at a lower speed then you really need to lower the vcore as that will give you the most temp drop. You'll need to run some stresss testing programs like P95 small fft to determine how low you can go on the vcore.

You'll probably find that you can run it at 2.4GHz w/ only 1.1v. Running slower than that won't make things much cooler unless you can drop the vcore even more.

Back