• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer hangs after POST or crash with Kernel_Inpage_Data_error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

This started happening a few weeks ago on my friend's computer; he's running Windows XP Pro.

Recently his hard drive died so I installed him a brand new Seagate 500GB SATA hard drive. At first it was working fine, but then he started receiving this KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR blue screen, and later the computer would stop booting at all, hanging after POST or showing "Please insert boot device" or some such message.

I diagnosed it was a dead fan connected on the same power wire as the hard drive, and removed it. Right away, the computer worked fine.

Then, a couple of days later, it started doing the same thing again. This time however, the fan has been removed.

What could be causing this? Can the hard drive be DOA?

The hard drive could be bad, despite it being new. I'd run Seatools on it, which is Seagate's diagnostic program.

Also might want to run MemTest just in case.

I ran both MemTest and Seatools on the hard drive; this was not the problem. Both the short and long Seatools tests were run successfully, and the memory testing ran for several hours with no trouble. However, in Windows it still crashes with the same error.

I also received another one today: BAD_POOL_CALLER

This is added to my previous KERNEL_INPAGE_DATA_ERROR

Anybody knows what's going on? Also, does anybody know of some logging programs to log every windows operation? Basically know exactly what is happening before the crash. The system log seems to have frozen and nothing is actually being added to it since a few days.

Back