• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Industrial Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I am looking for possible suggestions to add longevity to this system.
I do not want to make service calls all the time(long drive to location)

I am building a rig for controlling a CNC burning table:

Antec Basiq BP500UB 500W ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
AMD Athlon X2 4850e 2.5GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model
Sony NEC Optiarc 20X DVD±R Burner Beige E-IDE/ATAPI Model AD-7200A-01
Crucial 2GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model JDNE2GB-75X.SLC
2X Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3G
Microsoft Windows XP
Foxconn A74MX-K AM2+/AM2 AMD 740G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Here is the scenario: This unit will be installed in an uncontrolled temperature (0-110F) environment and AC/water cooling is not an option. I must set up air filtration to prevent metallic dust infiltration. The system will be installed in an industrial cabinet.

Here is the question: If I set voltage at min and under clock proc, under clock ram, use max power savings ie. shut down hard disks after ~5 min ect. and provide maximum air flow can this system last more than 2 years?

EDIT: forgot to mention it will be running some CAD/CAM software so depending on what my customer wants to run I may be doing a vid upgrade.

i would go with a 45nm intel since there is little heat involved with them.

as long as the cpu is stable at the lowest you can go it should be fine and last long.

Buy a Dell, get a service contract.

For mission criticals, like this build, the warranty offered by the big corps is a great investment. For sure all manufactures have RMA services, but nothing beats just calling one number to get your stuff replaced or serviced.

Get the most low-powered system you can get to avoid heat issues, as others have suggest; the 45nm Intel line would be great for your needs.

You MUST post pictures when all of this is completed! :)

bryan d

As these core components have already been purchased (due to budgetary constraints of client ie. new business) I am limited to this core setup. My client basically said I want to spend X and this is what I need it to. Build it with the same setup you would want therefore my only main concerns were redundancy and heat generation. My client has had crap luck with OEM systems and unless you go over 1000 clams, usually well over, you don't get much of a system for your money.

Edit: Also been looking into adding HDD fans and as I have never had a need for them until now suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Edit: Also been looking into adding HDD fans and as I have never had a need for them until now suggestions are appreciated.

You cannot go wrong with the Scythe Offering:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/5scsckbavesy.html

If this computer will be sitting in a cabinet, then go fan crazy with these:

http://www.petrastechshop.com/12x38sadesan.html

Make sure to get a case that will allow for a FULL filtration intake system, such as the CM 590 or CM Elite 340, and just make sure to block off any holes of entry that do not have a filter.

Make sure to enable CnQ.

Good luck,

bryan d

Is it possible you can train the users to blow the filters out on a monthly basis? Or move the PC far enough away from the CNC to help on the dirty environment? A RJ 45 or serial conn can be yards away. Flat monitors can use HDMI, which can be ...Quick remember 20'? So the PC can be far away from the majority of the dust.

The specs are for a 5v(Recommended) IEEE 1284 in EPP or PS2 mode. A cable over 3 foot seems to get signal degradation. Any one know of a good parallel range booster???

Back