• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper RAID / partitioning for performance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cerestes

I'm building a new vista64 system and have 3 HDDs to work with.

2x WD6400AAKS
1x WD10EACS (1tb, Digital Caviar Green)

I was originally thinking 640gb's in raid0, and the 1tb solo for storage.

As I think about it, I'm starting to think that 640gb in raid0 + 360gb left over would probably be more than enough space for me.

Anyone able to comment on possible performance increase or decrease by adding the third, non-identical (and I believe worse performing) drive into the array?

I'm building a new vista64 system and have 3 HDDs to work with.

2x WD6400AAKS
1x WD10EACS (1tb, Digital Caviar Green)

I was originally thinking 640gb's in raid0, and the 1tb solo for storage.

As I think about it, I'm starting to think that 640gb in raid0 + 360gb left over would probably be more than enough space for me.

Anyone able to comment on possible performance increase or decrease by adding the third, non-identical (and I believe worse performing) drive into the array?
Two seperate drives(one OS/apps, one data) will give better performance moreso over one RAID array that has to write and read to itself. Adding a lesser performing third drive into an array is gonna bring the other drives to the performance of the slowest one. I'd never do it.

Back