• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Software RAID (mdadm) and you!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If I was stuck with RAID 5, I'd do a hotspare. With RAID 6, I wouldn't do a hotspare as you have two other drives before complete array failure.

Not to mention, my RAID card is absolutely deafening when a drive fails.

Yeah I just like the idea of the hotspare, that it will instantly begin rebuilding and not wait on any sort of input from me. Then I think, what do I need just under 15tb of storage for? Even now I'm only at just over 9tb of data.

I'll probably keep adding a drive here and there, and when I get a new drive I'll just grow the array onto the "old" hotspare, and install the new drive as a hotspare.

2tb 7K3000 open box from the egg for $74 today, factory warranty! ;)

Media eats up a lot of space. I'm sure that you have Bluray/DVDs and music. I need to re-rip all my DVDs after I learn to not be a complete idiot at it and eventually move to Bluray rips. My "Lossless Music" folder (FLAC media) is 142.4 GiB. In addition to that, backups take a lot of space; at least on my level. My server keeps a copy of "My Documents", my WoW folder, my Steam folder and a few various others. That stacks up to quite a bit of space.

I just need to get off my lazy butt and start ripping media.

Probably 60% of my media is mkv. As it stands right now I do have alot of DVD quality movies, older stuff.

MediaCenterMaster tells me I have the following in my collection:
1560 Movies
165 TV Shows
134 Kids Movies

I have alot of old stuff too, like 1931 Frankenstein. :)

I would like to use WHS for workstation backups, but I see no other features I'd use.

I have alot of music too, although it's wildly unsorted. I have a 17" touchscreen from work that I want to turn into the front end of a jukebox, but haven't even started that project yet.

Now that you got all that space, we need to get you on a real operating system.

I tried installing Windows 95 but it had alot of drivers I couldn't find. :)
That would actually be a fun project. I got a copy of 98 that someone gave me.

That is, until it BSOD constantly like the POC it was!

I stumbled across 7 Win2K OEM CDs the other day, always hang on to stuff like that even though I'll never need it.

I think for my RAID6, if I had it to do again, I'd probably do RAID5 + at least one hotspare. In theory it's sort of the same thing, but choosing between being able to lose 2 disks, and having to replace/rebuild, or being able to lose 1 disk, but have one available to rebuild the array if one fails, I'd prefer the latter. My current solution is great but requires input if a drive or two fails, as opposed to hotspares where it just takes off rebuilding.

But, the more hotspares I have, the smaller my array appears to be. ;)

Well, even though I didn't want to, I AM now experimenting with downsizing the size and number of devices of a raid array. Trying it via VM right now, not as difficult as I though although you do need a 3.1.x variant of mdadm

Well, even though I didn't want to, I AM now experimenting with downsizing the size and number of devices of a raid array. Trying it via VM right now, not as difficult as I though although you do need a 3.1.x variant of mdadm
Good luck!

I'm really happy that with a pair of 2TB drives in RAID1, I can remove one drive form the raid, mess with it, create a new degraded RAID1, copy data over and then fiddle with the other drive. Plus I have a 1.5TB USB drive that still holds the RAID contents. But it is amazing what Linux RAID can do.

Since my brand new RMA drive from Hitachi is DOA, I don't have enough drives to complete copying everything off of my old ubuntu array onto my new areca array. I need one drive from my old array, so here's the plan. It's currently a RAID6 with 8 drives, both parity drives are removed and added to my primary array. I still have 1.2tb of data that needs to be copied, but my new array (5x2tb in a raid5) is full. Full. So I'm planning to resize the RAID6 to a RAID5 of 6 drives, then remove the parity drive. All the data that is on there that I would like to copy can be recreated, so not a big deal.

I have not done this yet, but here is the basic idea. Have done it in a VM, lol. I would like to switch to fewer devices and raid5, that may be the kicker here.

http://www.issociate.de/board/goto/2056451/RAID5_Shrinking_array-size_nearly_killed_the_system.html

My raid device was an 8 drive RAID6. Here is how I resized my array:

First of all, I've already removed 2 drives, so it was a RAID6 missing two drives.

THis is /dev/md1 which consists of drives /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sd

umount /dev/md1
e2fsck -f /dev/md1
resize2fs /dev/md1 5800G
mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --array-size 6400000000
mdadm -G -n 6 --backup-file=/mnt/tmp/file1.bak /dev/md1
resize2fs /dev/md1
e2fsck -f /dev/md1

I then edited /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf to reflect only 6 drives instead of 8.

mdadm /dev/md1 --fail /dev/sdg
mdadm /dev/md1 --remove /dev/sdg

Holy crap it worked.

There's your answer thideras, I would guess you could even change raid level if you wanted to.

Can't think of anything other than a drive going unresponsive, but that is difficult to test. From what I've recently read, it will wait indefinitely for a drive to come back.

So it's not failed, just defunct? I agree it's a tough one to recreate, hmmm.

Unfortunately, this is not an active project. Did you have a question? We do have a few members here that use software RAID normally.

Back