• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorry to be a noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate35

So I have an 8600gts just sitting around because the computer that it was supposed to go in died. (its motherboard is really messed up)

I would like to add it to my computer in my sig.

How would I do this?

This is for folding only. I do not want this gpu to do anything other than aid my 8800gtx in folding. Mainly I do not want it to end up trying to run physx in my games because my 8800gtx can render and run physx better then the 8600gts just doing physx.

so how do I add it in and make it only active during folding?

is there any down side to doing this?

Is your set up to be SLi or just separate cards?

There are 3 possible downsides that I see:

1) Your PSU (which is a 700 Watt unit, not a 750 Watter, as you might think) must be able to deliver the power you need.

I have the same PSU, and your power should be no problem.

2) Your case must be able to expel the extra heat, quickly enough.

That should be no problem with a Stacker case, if your fans are sufficient. You'll need to monitor the temps at first, and see what you have, obviously. You'll also want to monitor the temps somewhat closer, just because you have a greater potential for a heat problem, with the second GPU working.

3) For every bit of RAM in your graphics card, your system has to set aside some RAM of it's own, to "feed" that graphics card.

With 2 GB of RAM, you should be fine, depending on how many applications you're running at the same time, etc.

For the specifics of setting up your second GPU, please refer to the excellent sticky's at the top of our forum. They may look like "regular" posts, but they are actually "super" tutorials - I doubt if anyone would have the time and patience to do it better in a single coherent post.

If you have further questions or a problem, be sure to post back, of course. :)

We love talking FAH, in all it's aspects, so no need to be sorry. That's why we're here as a team, to support each other.

sweet ill read up on that. also is it ok that my 8800gtx is running at 76 degrees after folding for 3ish hours? I want to fold for another 3 and then shut down because I will have finished my WU. I guess I can cut that time a bit if I add the 8600 right now.

I can't say what the thermal safe limit is for your card - that depends on the components and thermal design that was used. I would try and keep it as cool as you can while it's working, though. 76C does sound quite high. Can you give it more air?

Adding the second card won't help the first card fold, at all.

If you are concerned about high temps, how about downloading N-Tune and giving you GPU fan a boost in speed?

My GTX 260 has hit 85c with the default setting (Around 40%) I have a somewhat noisy CPU fan set up on my old B-3 Q6600 (Dual 120 120CFM fans running at reduced speeds for daily use)

I can run the GPU at 70% and still not hear it over my CPU fans, and this lowers the temps to 70C while Folding.

Even when I run it at 100%, it's still not much louder then the CPU fans and all the other background noise...you will just have to play around with it until you can find a good balance of temps and noise.

Attachments

• Folding temps.JPG
    Folding temps.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
I was using rivatuner but I got pretty confused with that program because all of the tutorials are for the old version of the program. I will try out ntune.

Thanks.

Edit: I have the nvidia controll panel (I think everyone does?) are you saying that the fan speed controll is in there? I am at school right now so I cannot check.

No..you cannot see the fan speeds or OC settings in the NVIDA control panel "As Shipped" with the standard driver package.

You have to download N-Tune, this will unlock those pages in the control panel, plus add some other intresting features such as a chart to monitor temps, and a "All in one" OC section in a seperate control panel. You can adjust memory timings, CPU speed, voltages, PCIE speed, etc (If you have an NVIDIA chipset motherboard)

It even has the ability to "Auto OC" the NVIDIA motherboard, and a stability tester.

Here is a link for the download (42mb)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

Riva Tuner is great for advanced users and people willing to put the time in to figure it out, I prefer the simplicty of N-Tune most of the time, it can't do everything Riva does, but it's rare you need those special features unless your going for an extreme OC, or need acces to something special.
(Unlocking extra pipelines on older cards like the X-800, or converting your GForce desktop card into a CAD version, etc..)

Thank you! I installed ntune and I now boost my 8800gtx's fan up to 100% while folding and it has dropped my peak temperature by 20 degrees from around 80 to 59 degrees after folding for about an hour. WOW

I did not expect such great results. I am pleased. :)

grrrrr I lost a WU.... it only took me 2 hours but it is still frustrating.

Last edited:
Back