• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best tool to use to cut big hole in case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Use a hole saw.

How big a hole?

Def a hole saw! I used them on my Silverstone. You can get 80m, 120mm, 180mm etc etc. The work great.

I recommend drilling a small starter hole in the middle of your circle, that way the hole saw will not slip and scratch your panel.

dremel is safest but slowest. Jigsaw is fastest, but vibration can shatter aluminum if its thin anywhere, but this is the method I would use, just take proper precautions. (remove the piece you are going to cut from the rest of the case, clamp it to a solid surface etc)

2 sizes of hole saw would also work. 2 smaller holesaw cuts on the ends of the oval. One large in the middle then dremel or jigsaw out the remaining pieces.

Dont try to use the circle/hole cut tool with a dremel.. unless your watching it EXTREMELY close. I didnt realize once when i was cutting a hole, but the vibration made the screw that set the radius come loose and slide some, ended up without a perfect circle..

scribe the hole, cut a smaller hole in the center somewhere with like a 1" hole saw then use offset sheet metal snips. Red handled cut straight and left hand curves, green handled cuts straight and right hand curves

jig saw would give the best results imo. Use a smooth cut metal blade, don't waste money on cheap blades either, you won't get a clean cut. If you don't have a jig they can be purchased for about 40 dollars for a decent one. Make sure if it has the curve cut that is cut off (gives a nasty cut and hard to control). After the cut finish off the edge with emory cloth to smooth it up.

Jig Saw is the only way to get irregular shapes. Dremmel won't work at all, I've seen some really bad dremmel jobs, you just can't control a dremmel, regardless on how good you think you are, you are going to slip, and one slip ruins it all.

What saxile said is your best option. I cut out a friends aluminum siding with a jigsaw with a new blade and it came out great. I put masking tape over the entire siding and drew out my design, then cut.

Yes, definatly a JIG SAW with a fine tooth Bi-Metal blade, if you have a dremel with a cut off wheel, use that to put a small cut on or very close to the straightest part of your oval. Then go to your Jig Saw put the blade in the slit you just made with dremel and cut remaining part of oval staying about 1/32 to 1/16th inch away from line, then use a half round fine file to file to your line.

I used to be a professional DIE GRINDER for a steel forging for about 10 years, the die grinder I used was basically a super dremel. It takes alot of practice to cut a straight line with one, let alone an oval or circle if you want it to look like a professional job. There is no way I would even do it with a die grinder/dremmel. when I cut large holes in steel or aluminum I do it as written above. Just take your time & keep everything secure while also keeping good down pressure on saw to reduce vibration.

Roto-Zip Power saw. I have used these for years cutting holes in cases. You can rent them at Home Depot or Lowes. Buy one for about $50.

A dremel does a decent job, but as you can see in this_pic you'll have to do some clean-up with a file or sanding drum.

I prefer a hole saw; now on the same part shown in the pic[above] you would flip that part over, make sure it's on a firm surface(scrap piece of wood) and a hole saw would do a great job, with minimal "clean-up".

Back