• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What DNS do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Just read an article about a DNS trojan blah blah blah...but I suffer from the Comcast STD...was reading about manually changing your DNS to get faster responce times. I saw that 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2 are some of the fastest...

I use my ISPs regular DNS, wtv that happens to be.

Does it really make a difference what DNS you use for speed?

Nick

i just use the dns from comcast, however, i run my own dns servers internally (windows server 2003).

DNS should have no effect on response times unless you are having major service issues. I've always left mine on default.

To test your DNS response times, run nslookup from the command prompt for various domains. The response should be immediate each time - if its not, you may consider trying a different DNS server.

Using Verizon FiOS's DNS numbers I found something interesting. Doing a little research I found that the default end numbers .12 allowed advertisers to link their sites to poorly written links, where as setting those same numbers to .14 eliminated that from happening.

The second thing I found is that if I swapped the secondary default DNS number for the first the router automatically picks,

For Example

Primary: 51.123.0.14
Secondary: 28.321.162.14

and switching them to

Primary: 28.321.162.14
Secondary: 51.123.0.14

I achieved much better long term and sustained performance and responsiveness. Assumedly because the secondary server does not get as taxed by users on my node.

I did try for a while using open DNS but found my performance suffered as a result.

-Blackstar

Response times are based on the cache size. The more people that use the DNS server, the larger it's cache is and the higher percentage of requests that are pulled from the cache rather than recursively looked up. Recursion occurs when teh DNS server does not have what you are asking for and it has to go looking for it.

When my customers question me about DNS I tell them they are better off using my servers, A) They are not taxed and B) they are more likely to have something 'local' cached..

In reality a recursive lookup adds very little time as long as the authorative DNS servers for the domain you are requesting info for are equally fast.

Stats from one of my servers I have about a 40% hit rate:
dns_req.png

dns_rec.png

As far as ISP DNS servers vs. third party DNS servers, I'm of the theory that a company whose main business is DNS servers will be more attentative when it comes to keeping their servers patched and up-to-date. In comparison, it seems that many ISP's treat DNS servers as an afterthought...they don't really pay them much mind, they only have them because its expected that your ISP provide them. In a nutshell, ISP's don't make money from provide DNS services, they make money off bandwidth. So, following capitalist principles, they will naturally focus their efforts on what makes the money, not the things that don't.

Example:
Back when that major DNS exploit was revealed, several of the largest ISP's had yet to patch their servers several weeks after it was released into the wild. Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/25/isps_slow_to_patch/
OpenDNS, whose business and profits come from DNS servers, deployed patches same day.

on FiOS, go with OpenDNS.

I used to be a supervisor at one of the FSC's. 90-95% of speed, latency, or wierd re-direct issues were linked primarily to the *****-poor dns servers we used.

on FiOS, go with OpenDNS.

I used to be a supervisor at one of the FSC's. 90-95% of speed, latency, or wierd re-direct issues were linked primarily to the *****-poor dns servers we used.

I see. I'll keep it in mind. FiOS DNS does seem to take a crap on a regular basis.

@Vinny:

I would actually recommend a Windows 200x-series VM for this purpose...the DNS setup is so ridiculously simple and easy. (Point and drool.)

I see. I'll keep it in mind. FiOS DNS does seem to take a crap on a regular basis.

@Vinny:

I would actually recommend a Windows 200x-series VM for this purpose...the DNS setup is so ridiculously simple and easy. (Point and drool.)

click, click, click, click, click then drool!

with the wizard, its really easy :) can get a working DNS server within minutes. just keep the darn thing patched! in my security class we had a DNS hacked into that we left un patched on purpose to see the dangers of keeping a vulnerable DNS server

@Vinny:

I will keep that in mind, however I am a Linux/Unix guy when it comes to servers so I think I am going to implement pdnsd.

*Edit* Actually scratch that, I think I am going to look into BIND.

Back