• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 vs. 4 sticks for OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drogos

Registered
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P
Q9550

I want to go with 8Gig ram. Supposidly 4 sticks will trash my OC potential. Is that the case and if so should I get 2x 4 instead of 4 sticks ?

I asked something similar to this when I wanted more ram and instead of going 4 x 1 , people suggested I go 2 x 2.

I guess the less sticks = less hardware to go wrong

its not as simple as the ammount of sticks used you have to compair the chips used on the memory itself.

Generally speaking 2x2 > 4x1 for overclocking but the chips used in 4gb sticks dont make 2x4gb better for overclocking vs 4x2gb

eventually the opposite will be true but the chips used in 4gb sticks dont clock all that well currently

From the way I've understood it, its just not as hard on the system to run with 2 sticks as opposed to 4. Can still get a decent OC with 4 sticks..

When I went from 2x1gb to 4x1gb I needed to bump my NB volts from 1.3 to 1.4 and memory volts up from 1.9 to 2.1 to regain stability with the OC in my sig.

Fewer

Fewer sticks would generate less heat..something that ive come across..i was trying to get my same oc which is in my sig but couldnt get it stable for the life of me with 2x2 and 2x1 of the same ram..corsair domininator...same specs and all..i could only get it stable @ 952mhz which is way below its native speed of 1066...more sticks also stresses the mch more vs 2 sticks..you would have to juice the crap out of the mch to get a stable oc...

When I went from 2x1gb to 4x1gb I needed to bump my NB volts from 1.3 to 1.4 and memory volts up from 1.9 to 2.1 to regain stability with the OC in my sig.

Trent,

That should explain it partialy to you: Less sticks = less strain on your system board and Northbridge.

4sticks puts more pressure on the NB, therefore needing more voltage. but in some cases, it hasn't been any different to have 2x2gb. if i was deciding, i'd go with 4x1gb sticks as you get more options for chips.

4sticks puts more pressure on the NB, therefore needing more voltage. but in some cases, it hasn't been any different to have 2x2gb. if i was deciding, i'd go with 4x1gb sticks as you get more options for chips.

Richard,

Rarely, if ever, will you have the ability to overclock as good or higher with 4 sticks versus 2 sticks. The idea is to get RAM sticks that are in "kit" pairs so they are the same. If you want to buy 4 sticks the same in 2 x 1Gb "kitted" pairs, that's also an option and there is still no guarantee those will all be the same chips, and your overclocking ability won't increase with them and most times they will decrease. You don't know how long separate 2 x !gb "kit" pairs have been in inventory or if they are all from the same batch.

That's why most that want or need 4GB buy a "kitted" pair of 2 x 2GB.

ahh, yeh i bought a 2x2gb kit my self, because my TRUE blocked my first ram slot, so i couldn't have all 4 slots occupied.

yeh, i was just thinking, for example, if you get 2 pairs of C3DF dominators,surely you could still run 2 pairs of those faster than any 4gb 800mhz kit at 4-4-4-12. having all 4 slots occupied wouldn't suffer that much would it?

EDIT: also here in Australia, where i live, Corsair C5DF 1066 4gb costs $200. where as you can also get 2 pairs of reaper 9600 2gb for $96 each.
you would surely be able to get better performance out of the Reapers wouldn't you?

so i'm wondering if buying 2 high performance 2x1gb (eg. 1200mhz) would still be faster than a normal 4gb kit(eg. 1066mhz) becuase you can underclock the 2x1gb and get tighter timings.

Last edited:
ok well take the IC's out of the equation. back on P965 those that tried ocing with 4 dimms didnt get very far cause of the memory controller. they had to pump in lots of MCH voltage to get them to clock hardly at all. P35 did better in that reguard with ocing and 4 dimms but still didnt see many people tring it. P45 well i dont know here, since agian not many people tring it. i would say your going to have way more head room in ocing with 4 sticks on P45 then P965, maybe a bit more then P35. the memory controller in the NB does play a larger roll then what some here think.

ahh, i see. thanks for the info.
so there's far more variables than just IC's. over these past days of reading, i've also noticed ppl with 4 dimms have had to loosen their timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-12 (800mhz) if they added another pair of 1gb dimms in. where as for example on my Reaper X, i am still able to acheive 850mhz on 4-4-3-10 and on 2.0v with no extra NB voltage whatsoever.

so you're right in saying 2x2gb kits woudlnt' give you headaches. :p

ahh, i see. thanks for the info.
so there's far more variables than just IC's. over these past days of reading, i've also noticed ppl with 4 dimms have had to loosen their timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-12 (800mhz) if they added another pair of 1gb dimms in. where as for example on my Reaper X, i am still able to acheive 850mhz on 4-4-3-10 and on 2.0v with no extra NB voltage whatsoever.

so you're right in saying 2x2gb kits woudlnt' give you headaches. :p

How high will those go?

the lowest timings i can get for 850mhz is 4-4-3-10 2T 2.0v. other timings are on auto. right now i'm running 1066mhz with 5-5-5-15 tRFC on 55, 2.2v. i've yet to try 2.0v but i think i should.
and 1066 is the max i've made it to for now. i coudlnt' even get this high before i updated from 0403 to 0410 RF bios.

Back