• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux GPU2 Wiki Defaced

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerix01

Ug.... I just saw in my e-mail that some *** defaced the Linux GPU2 wiki @ gpu2.twomurs.com. I have rolled back the changes.

I'm not sure if this will be enough but I blocked that persons IP address as they made dozens of changes over the last few days but they were all the same IP. I want to keep this wiki open to anonymous edits as we keep getting good additions. I'm going to keep a close watch on this thing to see if they come back. Has anyone had to deal with this type of thing before?

That's really sad that someone would go through the effort to deface such a nice write up... and it is a very nice write up. If I were a Linux-head I'd be all over it. But, however you want to look at it, I'm married to Microsoft and .NET. Maybe I could give Mono a whirl? ;)

Awful =/
What kind of defacement are we talking about? Or do I even want to know?
Good thing you can roll these things back.

PM the IP. I will block them on a higher level. If need be. I will block the whole pool of addies. That is how you deal with it. If someone has ill intent. You stop it right then and there. Not let them go further.

You should of PM'ed me when it happened. Or mailed me. Also my IM is rarely turned off.

Last edited:
I own the name and the host. Yes I have control over that kind of stuff. Only if it is protecting my interests though. Normally I do not mess with my guests thing. If it is really important. I can track them down and flog them too. :rolleyes:

Zerix,

IF you have it under control via the wiki application. Then no need for me to step in.

If you want the logs for the subdomain and the sql dump. Let me know. I will just put them in the folder where the wiki is. So you can grab them.

Last edited:
Note to self: Add link to Zerix's GPU2 in Linux wiki/guide to the Team 32 Intro and FAQ. :)

I own the name and the host. Yes I have control over that kind of stuff. Only if it is protecting my interests though. Normally I do not mess with my guests thing. If it is really important. I can track them down and flog them too. :rolleyes:

Zerix,

IF you have it under control via the wiki application. Then no need for me to step in.

If you want the logs for the subdomain and the sql dump. Let me know. I will just put them in the folder where the wiki is. So you can grab them.

Sure I'll look over the logs, let me know when you copied them.

Sorry about not e-mailing you, I saw the issue this morning before going to bed (I work at night) and just was concerned about reversing it. So far blocking the IP has solved it for now. It looks like who ever was making good edits the last few days was also trying to help and reverse what was done but it was redone again on the same day.

Awful =/
What kind of defacement are we talking about? Or do I even want to know?
Good thing you can roll these things back.

Links to pirated software and cracks :rolleyes: normal internet stuff....

It looks like depending on what you search for, like "gpu2 linux" this wiki is at the third entry in Google. So I bet it was more about visibility for the person and I wouldn't doubt they get per page hit ad revenue on those sites.

Sure I'll look over the logs, let me know when you copied them.

Sorry about not e-mailing you, I saw the issue this morning before going to bed (I work at night) and just was concerned about reversing it. So far blocking the IP has solved it for now. It looks like who ever was making good edits the last few days was also trying to help and reverse what was done but it was redone again on the same day.

No need to apologize. I just wanted to remind you that I will step in if need be. If it gets out of hand, then we can come up with something. It seems like you have it handled for the most part.

Go to your ftp and look in the maintenance folder. You will see the folder I made called log or whatever. It is a protected dir, so that is where I thought best to put it.
Remind me before the end of each month. I will put the raw logs in the same spot. If you need a sql dump(for backups and such). It will go to the same spot.

Last edited:
Hey how come I'm blocked from editing the wiki?

j/k!

I'm glad you caught this. I can't stand vandals. The internet and the wiki system has come a long way, and It's right in line with the entire GNU, GPL, BSD open software, open source, open ideas. It's a shame when someone messes with a wiki, i'd be like if someone went in and sent some bad patches to the linux kernel or such.

Sounds more like spam than vandalism.
The Mediawiki that is installed is a opensuace project of the wikimedia foundation. Which is like the awesome in php'edness.

Zertix is very cool to have simple usage terms in his CC license.
Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported

So he does have protections of his work and those who help him out. I am not a lawyer, but someone coming in and trying to make money off his work (spamming) might... in my opinion violate his very generous terms of use.

This point:
Noncommercial. You may not use this work for commercial purposes.

The terms are on the bottom his page. :D

Man you just got to have big respect for wikimedia to allow us to use the application and make it easy to protect the work.

I am going to rollback the defaced site. Looks like it happened sometime around Christmas.

lol

Went from 317 hits on the 17th. Then on the 25th, went to 7202 hits.

Thank you for the heads up on that ihrsetrdr!!! :thup:

I am backing up my host, then I am going to redo the site.. Unless Zertix sees this before the restore thing is done. The site will be reversed to 12-21-2008. He should be able to rollback the changes.

Zertix, we should set something up so you can do regular sql backups. Or you remind me so often. I forget about that suff when I am not very active on that particualr part of my host.

Last edited:
It's a shame that all the great works done by team members is being rendered un-accessible by mindless spammers.

Thanks to all for your efforts to keep the Wiki going.

foldon.gif

It does suck. But the devs of Wiki give the good guys a way to reverse it. I am still waiting on my host and downloading the backups from the 21st. Gonna take a bit, seems my host is being slow right now.. But if Zertix can get to it before me. He can easy reverse it. Faster than me even. He has a good CP. I just have the sql and files. So it is not as refined from my end.

Support of the teams takes many forms. Not just crunching seti or folding proteins.

It does suck. But the devs of Wiki give the good guys a way to reverse it. I am still waiting on my host and downloading the backups from the 21st. Gonna take a bit, seems my host is being slow right now.. But if Zertix can get to it before me. He can easy reverse it. Faster than me even. He has a good CP. I just have the sql and files. So it is not as refined from my end.

Support of the teams takes many forms. Not just crunching seti or folding proteins.

Easy enough to revert it, don't even have to log in. All you do is simply go to the "history tab" and click undo on a revision. Now though if as in this case there were a million revisions, simply open the last good revision by clicking on the date and you'll end up on a page like, http://gpu2.twomurs.com/index.php?title=Main_Page&oldid=117 . From there go to edit, then simply click save and it save it as the new page.

I didn't feel like undoing 60-70 revisions when you could simply resave the page.

I am not all that hip on doing much on that page. Simply due to me not knowing how it works in detail.

I didn't even know you could edit as a guest like that. :p

Not knowing much the details. I thought it would be simpler. Once I got the sql backup on my local. To just revert it like that. Zertix is a nightowl. So he might be on before I get the full host bakcup on my machine.

I have a huge amount of data to pull off my host home folder. So it is going to take a bit. Plus it gives him time to get back online. He usually is pretty good about keeping up on that site. though with this much damage. He might have to consider another angle of how the site is ran.

Far as I can tell. My host is not in any danger. So I really won't step in. Though for the benefit of the site. I will help as I can. Giving the site admin time to do his thing. :D It looks like a driveby spamming.

Looks like it got fixed though. So me being patient paid off. Though. I am still going to make sure i have a backup local for the site. In case it does get really hit hard.

Ug.... Fixed and the IP has been blocked. I'm thinking I should lock the wiki and take e-mail edits from now on. I haven't changed anything yet though.

Ug.... Fixed and the IP has been blocked. I'm thinking I should lock the wiki and take e-mail edits from now on. I haven't changed anything yet though.

Maybe just require registration to edit it? Semi-protect then page, then random bots will not be able to deface it as such.

Back