• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I -edit- DId it guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BackBreaker

Disabled
I bit the bullet today and as I returned the low profile 9500 gt and started pondering over things like such as if I have a low profile really or not since the 9800 pro fit I came up with a brilliant idea. Rather than cosntantly getting stuff online cause its cheaper off newegg I decided I cane asily experiment on bestbuy and just return stuff if it dont work. So what I did was bought a 650 watt psu and the 9600 gt ddr3 regular (not low profile), and I figured if this power supply wont handle it none will (it has like 3 12v 15 amp rails not just two). And so I noticed the 9600 gt's huge size and how small my mobo is compared to it but I got it to slip in perfectly. I than decided to give the psu a go and realized it actually is the same size and fits as the old one. I than put all the plugs in except for the main long one but I realized after a while that the reason it wasnt going in was because I was putting it in a different connector that is used for something else and slimmer. I than, foun d a way and it has so many plugs there is literally no breating room in this little case not even meant for gaming lol. Anyway, it wouldnt turn on but I hit the switch on it and it turne dona fter that and whalla. I installed a psu and a video card in like 25 minutes that would have probably cost me over 130 bucks just for the labor at best buy and now know how to do it. I al;ways didnt have confidence in myself that ill be able to do it or itll always work due to constant dissapointments. I installed the PNY drivers of the 9600 gt off the cd and it also shows up now in device manager. Can you guys recomment me some super bad *** drivers? I also have a 5.0 score now on vista and had a 3.0 before.

The only problem is I paid like 90 bucks for this psu and if I knew it isnt an oem or that all work on this system I could have saved like 50 bucks and be using a newegg one right now. But Im too lazy and paranoid to return it and order a newegg. Too many things could go wrong again.

So, to summarize, you completed your first successful hardware upgrade. Congratulations.:beer:

the 9600 gt barely fits in my cause, so does that mean a 9800 gt wouldnt or are they the same size?

How long is your 9600gt and which manufacturer's 9800 gt card are you looking at? Do you have a ATX computer case?

Back