• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems accessing my Windows network!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grs

I'm having trouble accessing my network from two Windows XP Pro PC's, adesktop and a laptop. I haven't changed any network settings, so I'm completely baffeled. If I go to:

Windows Explorer - My Network Places - Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network - MSHOME

I get a message say I can't access MSHOME because I don't have permissions and "The network name cannot be found"
I was able to access this until now, so the directories from my storage server are still visable under My Network Places on the desktop, the laptop said I could not access them and removed them from the list!

Any ideas why this would happen? I don't think Windows updated, but might that cause it?

The problem seems to be connected with Samba on the storage server, I ways adjusting some settings. But I can't understand why that would affect to see other machines on MSHOME workgroup.
I have now set Samba back the way it was previously and it all works as normal on the laptop, the desktop is still preventing me from accessing one of the Samba shares.

Something that might fix it would if I could reset the Samba connection by re-enter my username and password - but as I asked Explorer to remember the password I don't know how to do this.

You could try mapping the drive and seleting to login with a different username/password. That may cache the credentials your providing and fix the issue your still seeing.

Map a drive using tools>map network drive from any explorer window, then click the button to supply your own creds.

what is the server running?

If its a linux samba share, the samba rights must be configured right, as well as the directory rights for the user you are authenticating with.

If it were me authenticating to a server at address 192.168.0.10 I would use the username 192.168.0.10\imog then the password thats setup for imog on 192.168.0.10. This assumes all your sharing permissions have been set correctly.

grs,

try making usernames and passwords for each user you're connecting to and exact passwords

then make sure you have folder permissions to those users to the files, more or less likely you have a folder permission.

if you try using root and its password, what does it do? can you open the samba share?

one thing to also check is to see if they are in the smb config

/etc/samba/smb.conf is where your config should be make sure you use something similar on shares to

Code:
[myshare]
  comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
  path = /usr/somewhere/shared
  valid users = mary fred
  public = no
  writable = yes
  printable = no
  create mask = 0765

and make sure people accessing the share is under "valid users"

edit: make sure after you edit the config file you do a service smb restart in order for these configs to take place.

I'm using Clarkconnect 4.3 - based on Linux Red hat.

I don't understand that authentication you mention, I've never been asked to put in IP address. The first time I click on the server in Windows Explorer a pop-up windows asked for a username and password, thats all.

Whats the command to restart the samba service? I think thats all I need to do, the password are right the permissions are correct.

Like I have said before I do not get asked for a password, Windows has it stored somewhere (username: grs - password: secret) so I am unable to to actually change from one user to a different user on a single PC.

Last edited:
This is what I was talking about when telling you how to force connection to the share using credentials you provide, rather than cached credentials:

Mapnetworkdrive.png shows you how to bring up the map drive wizard, folderpath.png shows you how to specify the path to the server shared folder ("192.168.0.10" should be the IP of your clarkconnect box, "shared" should be the name of the shared folder), and username.png shows you how to provide the username ("192.168.0.10" is the IP of the clarkconnect box, "fred" should be a name of a user account on the clarkconnect box you have granted rights to) - you need to click on the connect using different username link to bring up the last dialog box I screenshotted.

Attachments

• username.PNG
    username.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 66
  • mapnetworkdrive.PNG
    mapnetworkdrive.PNG
    45.2 KB · Views: 66
  • folderpath.PNG
    folderpath.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 62
Ok, thanks that works. That will do as a work around for now. I don't usually bother mapping the shares as a drive.
But I still have the problem where it will not allow me access the share through:

Windows Explorer - My Network Places - Entire Network - Microsoft Windows Network - MSHOME - tv

Last edited:
Glad that worked. I hope someone else can help you with the rest - I have always avoided the my network places route, because its never worked well in any sort of mixed environment for me. I chalked it up to microsoft weirdness that wasn't worth figuring out and I never looked back.

If someone else has an explanation, I'd be interested in hearing it also. You may want to message redduc for his input, I'm not sure if he ventures out of the MS OS forum, but he is the best I've seen with windows specific stuff on this forum.

It's something I've tried to figure out in the past on a number of forums but I have never got an explaination or solution - your the first person who has at least given me a work around. I'll look up Redduc, Thanks.

Back