• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will my PC bottleneck a GTX 260

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RSDXzec

Disabled
Specs are in sig.

i now have 2 8800GT SLI, and am going to upgrade to a GTX 260 when prices get cheaper :)

Id like to know if my PC will bottleneck the performance of a GTX 260, what about GTX 260 SLI?

would 260 SLI even be worth it?:confused:

I'd skip SLI , you should be fine with 1 GTX260 , also do you overclock? That Q6600 should be able to get much higher than 2.4ghz.

I would keep 2x 8800GT and get faster cpu or overclock what you have. If I'm right then 2x8800GT are faster than single GTX 260 as long as games can support SLI. I'm not sure if you use it only for games because if you run F@H on gfx then 2x gtx 260 are much better and don't need faster cpu ;)

whats F@H???

And the reason i want to get a 260, is because its only a little slower but i can sell my 8800GT's for quite a bit of cash, and buy a 260 with a little left over for my next upgrade.

And performance wise theyre kind of the same arent they?, i mean 260 is a lil bit slower than 8800GT SLI with lower settings, but at higher settings the 260 is still playable but the 8800 GT SLI isnt.

I just want to stay with technology, yes i have an SLI mobo, but i think i wont lose much performance if i upgrade to a 260, will I?

And i play games like GTA IV, Crysis, Diablo 3(when its released), Juiced 2, lotsa FPS games
I usually game at 1280x1024

I also read that the 8800GT SLI will perform better than a GTX 260 with lower settings, but the 260 is still playable. But at Higher settings the 260 is still playable and the 8800GT SLI gets crippled

Last edited:
F@H - Folding at Home :)
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=574029
But I see that you want to play mainly. If you can sell 2x8800GT then maybe it's better idea for future to get GTX 260 or wait 3-4 weeks till GTX 295 will be available.
You still need faster cpu to see difference and I mean clock because not many games can use 4 cores. Try to set your cpu to ~3.5GHz then should be ok because now it's main bottleneck in your setup. 3.4-3.5 GHz should be possible for 24/7 on Q6600.
Other idea is to sell Q6600 + 2x8800GT and get E8500/E8600 + GTX 260 and overclock cpu to at least 4GHz that should be faster in games than Q6600.

ok, but il try to keep my Q6600, the best OC i have been able to get stable is about 3.1 Ghz, but its the hottest time of the year for me now so il OC in the winter.

To tell you the truth, i wanna sell my 8800GT SLI now and wait a week and buy the 260's when theyre cheap. Because when the 295 comes out prices will drop, so i sell 8800SLI for more cash and buy 260 for less.

will the 8800GT SLI to 260 be a good move?

also, i think my 4GB of ram is making my PC run pretty fast, maybe even increasing the speeds of my cards, im still working on OCing my Q6600 though

4GB of ram definitely helps but it doesn't really have a direct impact on your cards performance. It does have a minor impact on game performance though. I would wait a couple weeks and see what the prices drop to. You may be able to get a single GTX280 for pretty cheap, who knows ;D

Or, you could get a GTX285 hehe, I think I may be selling my 9800GTXs around then :D

I just sold my 8800gt for a decent price and picked up a gtx260 216 with a GTX200 (watercooling) heat-sink to overclock the bugger. The deal with gtx260 is that if you can overclock it, it shines. The gtx260 scales very well when overclocking. I am so keen on overclocking this card that I bought a factory overclock card @ 666MHz - 2300MHz. That ram clock is why I bought it.

My original idea last year was to buy a 8800gt, and then buy an 8800gt this year, but I, like you, decided that I would rather get one gtx260 and have similar if not greater performance. Then I can probably go SLI in a few months. I have my q6600 @ 3.6ghz so hopefully that won't be much of a bottleneck when I go SLI.

whooa, are you sure you can sell your 8800GTs for a good price? if you can, i'd say make the jump. newer tech, don't have SLI problems, less power etc.
better stock cooler as well, compared to your 8800GTs so you will be able to overclock without heat problems.

well in Aus on ebay theyre worth quite a bit, which surprised me, tbh, and if i look around a bit im sure i could find a 260 for an alright price, but im really waiting for the new cards to come out, then there will probly be a price drop

Last edited:
Specs are in sig.

i now have 2 8800GT SLI, and am going to upgrade to a GTX 260 when prices get cheaper :)

Id like to know if my PC will bottleneck the performance of a GTX 260, what about GTX 260 SLI?

would 260 SLI even be worth it?:confused:

you should be fine but as always resolution and settings in game play a big part

Back