• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 Temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

InfernoUk

Registered
Hey i just got my i7 to run at 4.0 seemingly stable with speed step on to get the x21 multiplier, i just wanted some people to confirm these temps wont shorten life span or damage the chip as i dont really know temps very well and i wouldnt have thought it would be anywhere near 100 load when 3d gaming. thanks for your help.

WHOA!!! those temps are extremely unsafe for that chip.

Verify the temps with some other temps software programs. If they all read the same i would back down to stock and find out why your temps are so high. with temps like that i dont see you i7 lasting very long.

Those temps wont damage the chip, dont scare the guy. You also are forgetting that nothing will get temps that high during normal use. Prime and stress test programs usually show 10C higher than ANYTHING you can throw at it.

BUT, how long was that test run? It doesnt even look like a minute... You need to give it at least 15 minutes on air to reach max temps. Longer for water.

i dont care what you say, if those temps are the real temps then it is detrimental to the chips life expectancy. also it appears he was running the blend test. Small ffts will get it hotter than that.

I trust the members at XS personally. ;)

Sure its warm and the lower the better, but like I mentioned earlier, nothing he will do will reach those temps aside from stress testing programs. Also, I have seen at XS that the BLEND actually gets higher temps (is this true?).

ran 3d mark 06 only hiy 82 max, might back it down to 3.9 again though or try it with 1.35v

any more comments all valued

I don't want to scare nobody. :)
I'm very indulgent with high temps, but frankly I don't want to keep my CPU at 8 distance to TJMax in daily use (aka, folding, encoding, games).
It's just my personal taste here. :)

it went 82 on 3d mark and arent regular games less stressful, my idle temps are 40 also and my pc speds 50% of the time idle

well in order for him to have a perfectly stable chip then he needs to run prime in small fft's for a bare minimum of 12hrs IMHO. With the temps he had and the relative short time he ran prime then i can see his temps getting over 100c. now he can continue to run the chip like this and find out its not stable by getting some BSODs lock ups and the what not's. I would back the chip down considerably, What kind of cooling are you using?

asus triton, ive been running it at 3.9 which is 10 degrees cooler for a few weeks, would that be acceptable

yeah that would be the 3.9 i was running for a while at 20 away i just wanted to se if i could hit 4 and run 3d mark which i managed. thanks anyway ill try again in a while when i get water cooling

ive got the temps down a lot from voltage reduction ill post back when ive taken it as low as possible and primed for 15mins

when using Intel burn test , I get temps around that with stock cooler , on stock voltage...
core i7 are hot cpus !

This happend to me once, but with a c2d. It was the fan. Wasen't on properly or just not tight enough. Try that.

Back