• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nero 9 - upgrade or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

merkavam4

Hi everyone

I'm considering to upgrade my nero burning software from ver 7 to 9, but I've read that this is not a new, better version but a bloatware - the main problems are that in some cases it doesnt install at all or takes forever, corrupts the registry and doesnt burn correctly like it should.

Should I upgrade? does anyone here have it and can give his opinion?

Thanks

Hi everyone

I'm considering to upgrade my nero burning software from ver 7 to 9, but I've read that this is not a new, better version but a bloatware - the main problems are that in some cases it doesnt install at all or takes forever, corrupts the registry and doesnt burn correctly like it should.

Should I upgrade? does anyone here have it and can give his opinion?

Thanks

Well my first question would be if version 7 does everything you need it to. If so I see no reason to upgrade.

Well, Nero tends to be bloatware anyway (lots of free software that can do what Nero does) but does have a decent interface. Nero 9 is a POS though. Stick with 7 unless you need more functionality. If you do look at some of the open source and/or free software or move up to Nero 8. Avoid 9.

The two functions of Nero that are important to me are the burning rom and the wave editor - thats why I want to upgrade - maybe version 9 has better ones. what do you say?

I tried the demo version of Nero 9. I do like the version 7, even though it has more than I would want. Some call it bloatware. I just think I would remove the extra stuff I do not use during install.

Simply put. Nero 9 is not wroth the effort to upgrade. The main GUI is really strange versus the simple Smart Start of 7. My personal opinion for what it is worth. Stick with 7 and don't worry about Nero 9. I honestly think it is junk.
I could go on and on why I think it is so. But I just think Nero is losing it in terms of good software. Six was the pinnacle of their product lines. Seven was ok. After that, it becomes - What were they thinking?
I do not mind a little extra overhead in software, but it very well must..I mean must make up for it in terms of what it gives back. Nero 9 does not fit in that.

Nero is only bloated IF you choose to install everything they offer, i only install BurningROM and that is it, i uncheck everything else.

be nice if they offered a "lite" version with just nero burningrom and nothing else.

Nero is only bloated IF you choose to install everything they offer, i only install BurningROM and that is it, i uncheck everything else.

be nice if they offered a "lite" version with just nero burningrom and nothing else.

Actually they do. The Lite Version that ships with just about all writers has the LITE. Not so much as in the past, but the simple burning ROM is easy to get. Then again, Windows offers that in it's basic install. Without any extra kernel overhead. Minus the ISO and nifty nerd features. It is not that hard to get free alts to get the same as Nero offers in the basic ROM burn. Without the services on startup.
:D

If asked. I will link out all I used and checked out before.

the one i get with a burner seems to be the smart start version and doesnt have the classic nero version i am used too, or at least it doesnt give me the same layout window with all the options i like to have, i hate using wizards!

I hate nero how it installes those start up options, i never said you could install them! luckily, Spybot asks me first and i say DENY!

It seems the newer the Nero. The crappier it gets. I was amazed that 9 required I have an internet connection to use it. I was testing out some basic layouts for Vista and an issue my wifes machine was having. I did not allow any Internet and the newer Nero kept freaking out. If 6 supported Vista 64. I would still be using that.

There is plenty of options to get rid of Nero to get nice options beyond what they want or require you to install. I look at a program and what it installs. as how does it benefit me or the user. Wndows has plenty of built in options and addons to enhance it/ Burning is really a non-issue and what Nero offers beyond free to low cost options. Plus it might enhance past what Nero gives.

IF your not required by the kernel to install a certain Nero version. Nero gets pretty good as you go backwards. Nero 9 At 100 bux is a joke.

I gave nero 9 a shot and then...shot it. Long time nero user too. Going back to 7, since I think little of nero 8. Nero 9 took about 20 mins to install on a really fast system and then it wouldn't even play blu discs under vista 64. Burning rom seemed to work okay, but so did 7. It really is getting bloated out of hand.

Keep version 7, since you have it. The newer versions are just a waste of money, time and disk space.

I've stuck with Nero 6.6, everything afterwards has struck me as... well... crap. I guess 7 was OK, but 8 an 9 are abominations. AFAIK the Wave Editor feature hasn't really changed appreciably since version 5.something, and after they added Blu-Ray support in version 6 of the Burning Rom, there's not much else they could add at this point that would be useful. Yet, for whatever reason, they keep adding stuff anyway.

Keep version 7, since you have it. The newer versions are just a waste of money, time and disk space.

I've stuck with Nero 6.6, everything afterwards has struck me as... well... crap. I guess 7 was OK, but 8 an 9 are abominations. AFAIK the Wave Editor feature hasn't really changed appreciably since version 5.something, and after they added Blu-Ray support in version 6 of the Burning Rom, there's not much else they could add at this point that would be useful. Yet, for whatever reason, they keep adding stuff anyway.

It's revenue driven of course. You've got to come up with something to get people to part with more moolah.

if 7 does everything you need to do, then no reason to upgrade. Nero is becoming quite a fat piece of software.

It's revenue driven of course. You've got to come up with something to get people to part with more moolah.

Ahead is going down the same path as Roxio did. Before they started to really be Roxio. The EasyCD package was a solid and nice bit of software. Norton is in the same boat now also. Then it becomes 'to useful.'
That yearly release schedule seems to bite software houses in the butt after a few cycles. How much can a dev house cram in before users say it sucks and offers nothing beyond useless bloat. Then it starts to hurt the company as time goes on in terms of reputation and such.

They'll eventually sell it off and do something different or just fold up the business when it gets too bloated and no one buys anymore. But a lot of people will buy on reputation or because they've heard of it before. They don't know the difference.

I have 8. I don't mind it and I doubt I'd go any further in upgrades til at least I get a Blu-Ray burner or what not next. Otherwise yeah I'd stick with 7. Might consider checking out free software for wave editing. I haven't palyed with the wave editor that much but I install a bit of Nero when I do install it, just to have it on the system if I need it.

But a lot of people will buy on reputation or because they've heard of it before. They don't know the difference.

how ppl think of adobe reader for PDFs or Norton for anti virus

deathman20
the LG-GGW-H20L is a bluray burner for PC & has light scribe support

it is around AUD$280 on ebay

a good free wave editor is Audacity

I have Nero 7 Premium on my machine and I only upgraded because I was having a few problems with the 3.2 version of Nero Vision that was the latest version from No.6. Nero 7's is version 4.9 and does everything I want it too that 3.2 couldn't dont ask me why but when I had N6 it was on my 939 X2 3800 and sometimes would cause problems creating when I'm editing a movie.

Nero 7 I have customized to a tee I only install StartSmart, Burning ROM, Nero Vision, Nero Express & Info Tool and thats it Nero Scout says it's there but I have killed that off completely with a command line ha ha. Total install takes about 700mb I use other programs for cover design etc so no need to add the unwanted extras.

As for the OP if you only need burning rom and wave editor man your install should be around 200mb lol no.8 and 9 don't offer anything good apart from a new interface and is that worth the money I suppose if you want to upgrade go for 8 not 9. Nero 9 has just come out recently (about 2-3 months old) and there's still a few bugs in it also looking at the Amazon.Co.Uk product reviews they complain about the install feature a lot.

Back