• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could an Atom w/ integrated mobo handle this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Steven-1979

Could this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359

work as a 24/7 computer whose main job would be to download/upload torrents all day? I know a lot of people say they are only powerful enough for basic stuff like surfing the net, but I'm not sure how they would work for torrents. I know my old 1.5ghz P4 would slow down and lag if the speeds got fast enough. Main goal would be a quiet torrent box that I would use to help my ratios.

torrenting is very basic computing, you could use an old pentium 2 to do that. (although storage speeds/sizes might be an issue with a system that old.

I bought p4 systems for less then that off of ebay.. (missing only HDD) if this PC is ONLY going to be doing torrents, better off buying a super cheap old PC to do it for yah :)

I built one of the Atom setups (MSI Wind) when the barebones first came out. Does great with 2gb of ram and a decent hdd. Don't expect to game or encode but it does great at everything else. Runs Vista flawlessly. The Wind barebones I got is a Atom 230, I think the 330 is dc right? So I'd assume its even faster.

I have one for my Untangle firewall and it is total overkill, but I wanted to play with an Atom and it was on sale for $65. I had XP and Server 2003 installed and they both ran great. It should be fine for torrents, but after you add a case, ram, hdd, and psu you could get a better deal on a used PC. But if you just want to play around with Mini-ITX it is a good option.

Back