• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9650m GT 1024 MB or 9800m GS 512 MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jsimacek

Registered
Ok so I'm thinking about getting a laptop. I've noticed most High end laptops have the 9800m GS. I've also noticed that the 9650m GT is on cheaper laptops. So is their something I am missing? Which would be the better choice for gaming? Any help is appreciated.

9800m gs. depends,though, on what you like to play - for example, on my laptop (with a 9300m gs) i'm happily playing fallout 3 with medium detail, slowing down only indoors)

The 9800m gs probably has more stream processors, shaders, and a higher clock. The 9650m gt might have more memory (1024mb) but that will only benefit you if you have a high resolution display. My laptop only has a 256mb 8600m gt. It's fine if I play games at 1440x900 or 1680x1050. But if I try playing at 1920x1200 it gets pretty choppy. A card with more memory might help with higher resolutions, but generally its better to have a faster card with more stream processors than a card with a bunch of memory, especially in laptops.

Well thanks guys that clears things up for me. I now understand why The 9800 is more.

using my powers of deducing, i deduce you had a look at an acer aspire laptop with a 9650m gt?

Back