• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 Pin Fan Connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krow

Registered
How much Current can a single 3 pin Motherboard connector take before damage would occur?

Are you talking from the fan side or the motherboard side?

Motherboard wise, I wouldn't pull more than an amp. Fan side should be a few amps, but it would depend on the wire being used.

Why do you ask?

I wanna somehow make the Voltage going to a TEC variable, and I'm having a hard time finding out any USB hardware to do so that is fairly recent or had good reviews.

What I really need is a USB device that will limit between 1 - 12V. Reason I want it to be USB is I am going to Mod my case a little bit and I don't want any knobs sticking out the front of it. I want it controllable from inside Windows.

I can't think of any device that is computer controlled that would be available to do what you want without costing a ton of money. I think building one would be the easiest option...

Just to clarify, neither the USB header nor the fan connector on the motherboard will supply enough power for a TEC. If you know that already, sorry, I just want to make sure you don't go killing something.

hehehe thanks for the extra tid-bit but ya, I knew that one.
Ya the USB would have to control a circuit that regulates the voltage... Man I wish I still had my HC11... Altho that's not the easiest thing to operate lmao...

Back