• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which HD better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soul23

Registered
hi guys

just wondering which hard drive would be faster
, solid state drive or 2 10000rpm velociraptors in raid0 ?

thanks

From what I have read, right now unless you can afford the rather high cost of the Intel X25E's you are better off going with the Velociraptor.

Many/most of the other SSDs, while have awesome sustained read speeds and random access, are still having issues with IO and other things that actually end up causing issues with freezing and other things.

I would recommend sending a PM to Dominick32. He seems to have the most experience with a variety of SSD's on our forums, and probably most other places. He also has great experience with Raptors, so I'm sure he would be able to give you a very informed opinion.

Intel X25-E, X25-M, Samsung SLC & MLC, & Corsair CMFSSD-128GBG1D all avoid the I/O issues by not employing the JMicron controller. The upcoming OCZ Vertex also uses a different controller and should be free of stutter issues.

The raptors will be faster for STR, alot faster at writes and alot slower at access times.

cheers guys.
i was thinking about this drive http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/60GB-OCZ-Technology-OCZSSD2-1SLD60G-25-SATA-II-Solid-State-Drive
i play COD4 alot so would it improve the game play?

Why are you comparing a $130 SSD to $300+ set of VR's. If you are willing to put that much into an SSD you can get very nice performance. Currently there is the MLC Intel with the OCZ vertex coming shortly. For similiar money(assuming they live up to the hype) a 64GB vertex with a 1TB data drive would be a nice combination.

Why are you comparing a $130 SSD to $300+ set of VR's. If you are willing to put that much into an SSD you can get very nice performance. Currently there is the MLC Intel with the OCZ vertex coming shortly. For similiar money(assuming they live up to the hype) a 64GB vertex with a 1TB data drive would be a nice combination.

The 120/250GB Vertex's will be faster than the 30/60GB Vertex's though obviously more expensive. I'd also second using a good SSD as primary drive, and then a backup drive for all other stuff.

I think the OP already has a single velociraptor so the thinking makes sense. The two options would then be comparable in price.

If your talking about 1 SSD verses 2 raid zero Velociraptors then the Velociraptors are going to be faster in all respects. If you are talking about 2 raid 0 SSDs then the SSDs will be somewhat faster at least for access times.

Personally, I think SSDs are still too overpriced per mgb to be the best choice right now but in the near future they will become a better choice.

cheers guys.
i was thinking about this drive http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/60GB-OCZ-Technology-OCZSSD2-1SLD60G-25-SATA-II-Solid-State-Drive
i play COD4 alot so would it improve the game play?

Don't buy that drive. I couldn't even get happy with two of those connected in RAID0 to an adaptec 3085(800MHZ/256MB cache). On ICH10R it was horrible.

You'd be better advised to get another vraptor or one of the SSD's I mentioned earlier. G.Skill's titan is also acceptable for some as it uses two of the offensive controllers in an internal raid config.

If your talking about 1 SSD verses 2 raid zero Velociraptors then the Velociraptors are going to be faster in all respects. If you are talking about 2 raid 0 SSDs then the SSDs will be somewhat faster at least for access times.

Personally, I think SSDs are still too overpriced per mgb to be the best choice right now but in the near future they will become a better choice.

Not entirely accurate. The Vraps are superior in many ways, but not in access times. Not even close.

individually they have slower access times but 2 veloci drives in raid zero actually have better access times then a single SSD.

No doubt the SSD will be faster in certain aspects, but with all the "now this drive is supposed to be a real solid performer for the money" releases, only to have as many hiccups as previous generations, I'd avoid SSD altogether. They still are nowhere near mainstream developement for a product and will need at least another year of developement and price reductions to be a reliable and somewhat cost-effective option. Sure, let all the hobbyists have fun with them for now. If you disagree, great, but that's my thoughts on the issue.

Last edited:
Whats important is how fast data is transfered from the hard drive to RAM.

access time is only a part of what creates that speed and most of the testing out there
right now says a SSD is not faster then a veloci RAID 0 setup.

So essentially what you're saying is that the Velociraptor's cache has a better access time then SSD's? Their average latency though state of the art for non-sas drives is around 30x higher than SSD. (.2ms vs 6ms)

Yes the 2xVrap RAID0 setup is faster than a single SSD in STR & writes...but again nowhere near SSD speeds in access times or latency.

In theory yes, but who has seem more than a couple tenths of a millisecond running 2-4 drives together over a single?

Agreed. RAID0 only increases access times by a tiny fraction. I was simply responding to the notion that RAID0 should be expected to drop access times. It does not.

Back