• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there anyway to get around the SMP required password on the user account?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mikep7779

I have another system that i can set up FAH on, however the owner dosent want a password on it. From what ive been reading it seems as if they are required to install the SMP client.

And another user name is out unless i can hide it.

Anyway around this?

Run as many unicpu clients as you have cores as a service. FAH won't be noticeable to the casual user. There are some pretty good WUs out, ATM. My old P4C is making 450 ppd on some DGromacs. A C2 would make at least twice per core.

Run as many unicpu clients as you have cores as a service. FAH won't be noticeable to the casual user. There are some pretty good WUs out, ATM. My old P4C is making 450 ppd on some DGromacs. A C2 would make at least twice per core.

Will do chief, thanks :D

On a side note, Wedo's is still cool right? As in i can still use it to install the clients?

On vista and xp?

Wedo's was only designed for the older 5.02 and earlier single core client.

Although I like the 5.04 version of it, these early versions have been replaced. Single core client is up into the 6's - 6.23 I believe.

I would read the install guide (on the download page), and see if it doesn't have it's own installer, as a service. The beauty of it is that the newer version have an option to delete the service, when you call up the client with the -config initialization string (aka "flag"). That's VERY nice indeed.

Side note: I would seriously consider limiting the cpu usage for these clients, to 70% or so. Keeps the fan noise and system heat down, and increases the responsiveness of the system, to the user.

Be advised that Stanford will zero out your points, if they have credible complaints of FAH being installed on people's computers, without their permission.

Several years back, they even looked into zero'ing out an entire (large) team's points, because they thought the team had supported someone who did install FAH on computers he did not own or have permission to install it on.

Get permission or let it slide, is my advice.

Wedo's was only designed for the older 5.02 and earlier single core client.

Although I like the 5.04 version of it, these early versions have been replaced. Single core client is up into the 6's - 6.23 I believe.

I would read the install guide (on the download page), and see if it doesn't have it's own installer, as a service. The beauty of it is that the newer version have an option to delete the service, when you call up the client with the -config initialization string (aka "flag"). That's VERY nice indeed.

Side note: I would seriously consider limiting the cpu usage for these clients, to 70% or so. Keeps the fan noise and system heat down, and increases the responsiveness of the system, to the user.

Be advised that Stanford will zero out your points, if they have credible complaints of FAH being installed on people's computers, without their permission.

Several years back, they even looked into zero'ing out an entire (large) team's points, because they thought the team had supported someone who did install FAH on computers he did not own or have permission to install it on.

Get permission or let it slide, is my advice.

My grandparents have 2 unit just sitting there... Always on. Making it anymore complicated would end in a disaster.

Thanks for the info.

I remember there being a utility called "control user passwords2" or something vaguely like that on XP. You could use it to setup windows to auto login even if it had a password.

@Adak,
I'm curious about the 70% cpu utilization recommendation. We regularly recommend that folks run 2 Linux VMs to get A2 WUs, which put the cpu at 90%+ utilization while using well over a GB of ram. Personally I'd run the uni cpu client at 100% to start and if temps made the fan spin up, I'd think about reducing cpu utilization, but then I'd go naaah, I can't stand to lose the ppd. :D

@Adak,
I'm curious about the 70% cpu utilization recommendation. We regularly recommend that folks run 2 Linux VMs to get A2 WUs, which put the cpu at 90%+ utilization while using well over a GB of ram. Personally I'd run the uni cpu client at 100% to start and if temps made the fan spin up, I'd think about reducing cpu utilization, but then I'd go naaah, I can't stand to lose the ppd. :D

Grandparents tend to be a quiet lot. If you're going to run a program sub rosa, on their rigs, it can't be two single core clients, running at 100% cpu. That extra heat and noise would stick out like a sore thumb.

Back