• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about a Popcorn Hour A-110, Any advice or comments?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jivetrky

So for a long time I have had my TV connected to my PC. I use it to watch video from the PC on the TV (Video Podcasts, ripped DVD's, even physical DVD's since I don't have a DVD player for my TV) With my current situation, it's a slight pain to have to use the PC in this manner, as it's the main and only PC in the house.

I DO have a partial system which might be able to play the media. It's an Athlon XP 3200+. But I need a motherboard and RAM for it. So either I can have a subpar HTPC (which maybe would struggle on HD content?)
-OR- I can get a very simple media playing box that does pretty much what I need.

The Popcorn Hour A-110 will play pretty much any content I have ever considered. In fact, the main place from which I watch video podcasts, revision3, is directly available in the system, no need to download on the PC if I didn't want to.
I'm just wondering if anyone here has a Popcorn Hour or has used one. Before I drop ~$200, I want to make sure it'll be worthwhile.

And second, if anyone does have one, where's the best place to find it (read: cheapest)?

Thanks guys!

(oh, for anyone not familiar with the Popcorn Hour, as I wasn't before yesterday, here's a link to the site)

This thread is the first I've heard of it. It looks pretty neat, I just wonder how well it handles the higher bit-rate files. Do report back with your thoughts on it.

I've considered one several times over the past year or so, but always ended up just putting together an HTPC. I'd still like one for a spare bedroom or to replace my mother-in-law's HTPC next door (the model with the 11n adapter included).

They have a pretty good hack community for plugins and additional features too.

wow. That little box looks amazing. I just wonder how it performs when connecting it, over the WiFi network, to both PCs and Macs....

Hope to hear more about this soon.
Joe

well, as soon as I get it in, I'll give a report back on things

And I didn't get the Wifi addon, I'm just using Ethernet, so I can't report on that one.

And I don't as of het have an HDTV, but I think I'll probably bring it over to my uncles house to his 65" and see what some bluray content looks like from it.

Well, the only slightly thing I can report so far is that their ship speed kinda sucks.

I knew going in that they ship from China (At least the A-110 does) and I was fine with that. But I didn't realize that they only ship once a week! That kinda sucks. So the order I placed on the 4th is reported to ship on 3/14-3/16.

Sure hope the product it worth the wait :)

I'm thinking about getting one these myself, since the 360 is limited to what it can stream. Can't wait to hear back with your report.

whoops, I forgot to report back. I'll see if I can write up an amateur review. I wanted to take it over to someone's house to test the Hd quality, but haven't yet done that. So far, though, I have been quite satisfied. I'll report back in a few days with a decent review!

Back