• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8500 vs PIIx3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

retrogreq

what is your people's opinion here...ive gotta upgrade, and im not sure what path i want to walk yet. ive got a strict budget, and its boiled down to either a E8500 wolfdale or a Phenom II x3 720 BE

how much of a budget? depending on your budget it can go either way! personally though I would go with the X3 and see if you can unlock the 4th core! thats like playing super lotto.

Hum that's tough. The X3 720BE will be better in encoding, creation content, but I am thinking a heavily O/Ced 8500 is still going to be better as most games can only take advantage of 2 cores. Its really a toss up. I like my new spider platform. Plus three cores might be a bit more future proof. Go with the under dog if you can't decide.

300-350 is my budget, and i must get a mobo, cpu, and psu......i have everything else already(sig)

also its mostly going to be WoW, crysis, and a few other games...mostly wow

My vote goes for a E5400. Mine easily went to 3.7Ghz on the stock cooler. Have seen guys get them to 4Ghz with a better heatsink and only cost 94 dollars

3712.jpg

eehh? any other opinions here? my thread in the AMD forums got derailed pretty quickly :/

eehh? any other opinions here? my thread in the AMD forums got derailed pretty quickly :/

I guess the only other question is, do you plan on benchmarking?

If you don't then get the PII. If you do, but are not going to have a pot full of LN2 each time, then get the E8500. If you are and have a lot of LN2, then get the PII.

i go with a different stroke, i look at TDP. the x3 has a higher TDP and clock/clock core 2 is still slightly faster. however the x3 of course has 3 cores so if you encode that would be the better route to go. as i recall a review of a stock clocked x3 vs a stock clocked E8xxx, im sure someone remembers it. i cant seem to find it right now though, kinda odd i cant. well in either case, the x3 was faster then the core 2 cpu but it wasnt as big as you would think. though we are talking 3 cores vs 2 cores, not 4cores vs 2 cores. where the spread for encoding results the PII-x4 would really pull away from the E8xxx.

all it comes down to is how much you have to spend, price two systems(one intel/one amd). see which is cheaper and which will give you the performance your after. if you oc then yea go with the cheaper unless the performance even oced would be able to match the other setup. your current system is still pretty good for gaming, if you could i would urge you to wait till june at least. then that way you can see the prices of i5 and see if it might be worth it to that path. as right now going either route is kinda dead end. LGA775 is pretty much EOL in 3 months with i5 release, then well i assume your going AM2+ for DDR2 support for the x3. unless your going to spend a bit extra to go AM3 for DDR3?

Back