• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I run a gtx 285 to the fullest potential?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Csharp

Registered
I want to upgrade from my 8800gtx but I just want to make sure I have a good enough system + power supply to handle the card.

I have an Xeon E3110(equal to e8400) oc'd to 3.6ghz, 4gigs 800mhz RAM, and Corsair 620HX 620W power supply. Will I be to fully run the card or will one of my other parts be a limiting factor?

What resolution do you play at? The HX620 should be ok. Depending on the resolution the CPU may or may not be enough to prevent bottlenecking. I'd say 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 it would be great.

I have a 24' monitor and I always run games at 1920x1200.

That CPU at that speed would likely be fine at any res, especially the one you are running it at. And the 620HX would be fine, that really isnt even a question in this case. That PSU could run 2 of those things really (with not much headroom, but still). Put it this way, according to a Kill a Watt meter, which isnt exactly accurate, but in most cases close enough, My system while running Furmark and overclock speeds listed in sig + Prime95 Small FFT, I pull 46xW from the wall.

Last edited:
I also could try oc'ing my cpu more, but I'd need to unlink my cpu-ram which while linked gives me another 2-3 fps in games I've noticed.

Also my cpu voltage is currently at 1.24~ and I would probably need to crank it up to 1.34+ to get it to 4ghz...and I need this cpu to last me a while so I don't want to kill it. Unless you guys think a 1.35-1.4v will last me 5+ years on this processor.

+1 on the cpu and 620HX. With the exception of Crysis, I think that any additional gains from an OC to 4ghz will only be noticed on paper and benchies. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't OC it though.

Yup, pretty much. The GTX285 will be golden for you, especially at that res. Mine shines with my QX6850 @ 3.6 :D

IIRC, Intel says 1.3625 is the "max" voltage and plenty of people run well over 1.4v for years with the temps in line.

1.365v should last another 10yrs at least. I was able to get to 4.3GHz on the E3110 I used to have at 1.368v.

Your RAM might have some OCing headroom in it as well. You might try seeing what it'll do. A lot of DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 RAM will do DDR2-1000 if you loosen the timings a bit (5-5-5-15).

It's Corsair 2x2gb ddr2 XMS2 ram, i've tried getting 4-4-4-12 and it would constantly crash so i've just left in on the standard rate which is i think 5-5-5-15 or something.

You would likely need to bump the voltage up .1 then to get it to be stable at those clock speeds.

Ram seems to overclock very well with a little bit more volts, my G.skill seem to overclock exceptionally whilst still being under 1.65V (max recommended along with within .5V of cpu)

The ram should be good depending on who it is, I know I got some good OC's on my DDR2 450-470Mhz was no issue.

As for the rig it should be good, ideally getting the CPU to 4Ghz would be the best, but even then it can bottleneck some games. 4.2-4.4Ghz would be ideal yet in some cases is still limited from what people have tested.

I have that ram as well, and the only way it would boot into windows with cas 4 timings was when I set it to T1 mode. T2 is the one that I use with 800mhz settings and I add .2 volts to get a total of 2.0v. My sticks are running at 465mhz right now, no problems. I know for a fact that they can go faster too.

Back