• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Folding performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

'Cuda340

Very Welcoming Senior, Premium Member #11
Looking for any info on where we stand in regards to ATI GPU2 & F@H.

I admittantly am not up to speed on gpu folding, and thus far have avoided jumping on the gpu bandwagon. Infact just VERY recently did i break my GPU folding cherry putting my 4870 to work folding. :p

My main focus is and will be for the balance of the year SMP folding, but i'm now ready to allot some funds to GPU2.

I just found this today. (From Nov 2008) http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/amd-folding-explained-future-reveale/

The Solution: Q1′09
So, we have shown you the problem, and now the time is for the solution. ATI can’t fix the performance issue on previous-gen hardware, but it will solve multitude of issues on Radeon 4800 boards. The team at Stanford is taking some necessary steps to re-do the workflow and introduce local memory share. This could take months, so realistic goal is to have a new client coming in Q1′09.
Once that Radeon 4870 gets fully utilized, those 800 shaders and 70% of theoretical value (700-800 GFLOPS instead of 1-1.2 TFLOPS) should be good enough for reaching the level of GTX280.

Q1'09 is here. I would appreciate any & all info on the matter. Toss a guy a bone people..... :D Please.

Fold on :attn:

There is no bone to toss. Q1 has 20 days left and the 4870 still makes 1/2 the ppd of the GTX 260. I've not seen anything to indicate a new ATi client is near. Sorry. ;)

Back