• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CoolerMaster GeminII (not the S version) on Asus P6T (vanilla)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoldenTiger

Hey all... will a CoolerMaster Gemini II that I'm using on my socket 775 system at the moment, work with an Asus P6T (non-deluxe)? The P6T has mounting holes for s775, and this heatsink uses a backplate, so am I correct in assuming it therefore should work? I just ordered my i7 920, RAM, and motherboard, so I want to know if I *need* to order a different heatsink or if my existing one will work :).

Heatsink: http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=140

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131359

Thank you very much for the reply :). As far as its cooling, it was reviewed at about 5-6c warmer than an Ultra 120 at the time I bought it, while costing $2 after a 20 rebate :D, so I should be in good shape so long as it mounts.

It should work proving you have the Socket 1366 bracket for it. Remember you have a 775 and the P6T is a 1366.

If you can't get the 1366 hold down bracket & backplate, you'll be SOL and forced to use something else. I don't know if this 1366 bracket will work as it's the S supported version.

The Asus P6T has 775 mounting holes, so shouldn't the 775 bracket work?

P.S. Would getting a Noctua or similar cooler boost my overclock potential very much, or are we talking likely 150-200mhz difference? It would run me about $80 shipped for the nice Noctua sink, while the GeminII I have is... free :).

Sry bro, I don't know what Asus P6T you're looking at, but the one you linked from newegg is an i7 which is a socket 1366, not a 775.

Taken from the specs:

CPU Socket Type LGA 1366
CPU Type Core i7

Sry bro, I don't know what Asus P6T you're looking at, but the one you linked from newegg is an i7 which is a socket 1366, not a 775.

Taken from the specs:

CPU Socket Type LGA 1366
CPU Type Core i7

Yes, but if you look at the CPU socket and reviews, it has 775 mounting holes along with the 1366 ones (they're just different spacings).

Yeah, it sure does have both sets of holes around the socket, Neb. I would think it should fit on that board ok, unless for some reason there would be interference with one of the sinks on the board. It sure wouldn't hurt to try it out. :)

Yeah, it sure does have both sets of holes around the socket, Neb. I would think it should fit on that board ok, unless for some reason there would be interference with one of the sinks on the board. It sure wouldn't hurt to try it out. :)

I'll be damned, you're right , it does have the 2 sets of holes. I didn't notice that till I expanded the picture.

Sure wouldn't hurt to try it out at all :)

Hmmmm I did some digging and apparrently the HSF I have compares pretty favorably with beasts like the TRUE (ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme), within 5-6c difference. I'm kind of surprised to see these results on reviews, but here's hoping... will be really nice if I can hit 3.8-4.0ghz on the i7 with my current sink :D, as I was getting ready to dump $80 for a TRUE then sandpaper to lap it as well since most are saying theirs come with a poor base finish.

The motherboard/CPU/RAM come over the course of Monday and Tuesday, along with a couple of extra 120mm fans, so I'll post back with results and whether it actually works (appears it should) then :). Since the GeminII has a small base that rises to a large top, hopefully it won't interfere with anything. To see what I mean, take a look at the deactivated item page on newegg, they have better pictures than my original post: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103026

Thanks again for looking, everyone.

Back