• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my hdd is about to die help!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate35

I was running F@H when I left my house this morning, and when I got back I turned on the monitor be greeted by a black screen which said something to the effect of: insert boot medium, and restart.

So when I rebooted windows told me that my hdd was temporarily unreadable.

I am running check disk, and 4 or 5 sectors were unreadable, and are being fixed. Right now it is slowly "verifying data."

If this all turns out alright do I have anything to worry about, or do I need to immediately backup my data, and RMA this hdd?

Thanks a ton.

or do I need to immediately backup my data, and RMA this hdd?

Yes, you do have something to worry about... back up your data now. Before you RMA the drive though, find the manufacturer's diagnostic program to test it, that'll tell you if it is actually a problem with the drive, or if it's data corruption from some other cause. (Although, that's not always 100% guaranteed... if you still have doubts after running the test, send it in.)

Alright. I will backup everything of importance. (not much really)

I can think of two reasons as to why it might have gotten messed up.

1. I have been folding for days. (not sure if that would do anything)

2. one of my sticks of ram is bad, leaving me with one gig. I have been playing crysis maxed out (no AA), and I feel that my page file is being used a TON. While playing, my hdd LED is basically on constantly, and the game stutterers when new textures need to be loaded. After the textures load it plays great though :)

Right now chkdsk is checking the empty space...

thanks guys

I can think of two reasons as to why it might have gotten messed up.

Neither of those should really affect the hard drive, they're designed to handle pretty heavy usage. Bad RAM could cause corruption, but that would've shown up before you pulled the bad stick, not after. Chances are good that the drive is just toast.

Hrrmmm.

This sux. The drive is basically new. The bad stick of ram made it impossible to use the computer for a long time. I am only able to use it now and the hard drive is failing... grrr

Well I guess I will back it up, and use it untill it dies. I just hope it lasts a few weeks. I am hosting a small l4d lan party next week and if I do not have the computer that would not work out well.

It happened again, and I think it is done for good this time. Thank you guys for telling me to backup my files. Even though the only thing that I would have lost is my new crysis game save folder. (This game is SOOOO hard for me haha) If I had to go through it again I would have just given up.

Is it possible to get my replacement hdd by the saterday after next? I really need it for a lanparty.

geez this is not a smooth build. Bad stick of ram, and a bad hdd.

Edit: It does make it to windows again... but this drive is on the brink, everything keeps freezing up and I can hear my hdd spinning and stopping over and over again.

Last edited:
HAHA, mine has not clicked yet, but it does not sound comfy.

Well there is good news. I just found out that WD is kind enough to provide a service which includes sending the replacement drive before they receive the dead one. I will be doing this tomorrow morning, because it calls for the serial number of the drive. I do not want to stop my pc from folding right now... MOAR points!!!!

Does anyone know if Corsair has a similar policy in regards to their ram? I really need this stuff quickly.

Back