• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2+ HyperTransport 3.0 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorgy343

I have the Asus M4N72-E motherboard which is capable of AM2+/AM3 processor and HyperTransport 3.0. I have the AMD 940 x4 AM2+ running at the default speed of 3000MHz. My FSB is also the default 200MHz so that makes the CPU modifier x15. The PCI-E frequency is 100MHz. My HyperTransport is set to the default x8 making the HT frequency 1600MHz. The board is capable of a HT frequency of 2.6GHz and I assume the CPU is as well. I read on the board specs that 1600MHz is the max for a AM2 processor and I believe that the BIOS is thinking I have an AM2 processor for some reason.

Anyways, my question is, from the information I gave, is it okay for me to raise the HT frequency to something higher than 1600MHz if not the full 2.6GHz?

If more information is needed I'll be glad to supply it. I'm rather new to over clocking so I don't want to go permanently wreck anything. Thanks.

Try it and see if it is stable. Don't worry about hurting the hardware. Obviously, the AM2+ IMC is made to handle the 2600 HT speed. I would recommend upping it in increments of 200 and then stress testing it after each increase so that you know it will boot. That will keep you from having to reset the bios to default and so that you lose all your other bios settings.

I have the Asus M4N72-E motherboard which is capable of AM2+/AM3 processor and HyperTransport 3.0. I have the AMD 940 x4 AM2+ running at the default speed of 3000MHz. My FSB is also the default 200MHz so that makes the CPU modifier x15. The PCI-E frequency is 100MHz. My HyperTransport is set to the default x8 making the HT frequency 1600MHz. The board is capable of a HT frequency of 2.6GHz and I assume the CPU is as well. I read on the board specs that 1600MHz is the max for a AM2 processor and I believe that the BIOS is thinking I have an AM2 processor for some reason.

Anyways, my question is, from the information I gave, is it okay for me to raise the HT frequency to something higher than 1600MHz if not the full 2.6GHz?

If more information is needed I'll be glad to supply it. I'm rather new to over clocking so I don't want to go permanently wreck anything. Thanks.
:welcome: to OCF!

The board should happily run at a higher than stock HT Link speed. However, I'm not sure the CPU will like it and, in any event, you can't run a higher HT Link than NB speed - so you'll have to OC the NB to 2600 MHz as well.

OC'ing the NB to 2600 MHz (IF you can) I can understand. Higher NB speeds increase performance for a lot of system components. OC'ing the HT Link that high I don't understand. What are you running that will use all that bandwidth ...?

Thanks guys for your replies. For what ever reason I was thinking that the HT Link speed would affect RAM, but no it doesn't. Thanks for bringing that to my attention QuietIce. So in that case I opted to over clock the north bridge. I did what trents said and slowly moved the north bridge clock up in 200MHz increments. I was able to move it from 1800MHz (I found out the auto setting was 1800MHz and not 1600MHz) to 2400MHz. It ran stable as far as I could tell at 2400MHz but failed to post when I moved it to 2600MHz. In the end I decided to put the north bridge clock at 2200MHz and the HT Link clock at 2.0GHz.

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys for your replies. For what ever reason I was thinking that the HT Link speed would affect RAM, but no it doesn't. Thanks for bringing that to my attention QuietIce. So in that case I opted to over clock the north bridge. I did what trents said and slowly moved the north bridge clock up in 200MHz increments. I was able to move it from 1800MHz (I found out the auto setting was 1800MHz and not 1600MHz) to 2400MHz. It ran stable as far as I could tell at 2400MHz but failed to post when I moved it to 2600MHz. In the end I decided to put the north bridge clock at 2200MHz and the HT Link clock at 2.0GHz.

Thanks guys!

Have you run Prime95 to test for stability at those settings?

:):thup:

Back