• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE 120 Swap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue 83

I have a AMD TRUE 120 Extreme on my AMD system, but am thinking about building a new Intel system and was wondering if there are any TRUE 120 conversion bracket kits out there? So I could use my AMD TRUE heatsink on my new Intel system with out having to buy another TRUE 120 for the Intel.

Last edited:
Yea I figured all I needed was a TRUE 120 Intel bracket for it, but didnt know if the heatsink itself was any different between the two.

Good deal, thanks guys.:thup:

No, the heatsink itself is the same for both platforms. The AMD bolt through mounting system is wider I think and provides more stability. Some people have complained about the heatsink twisting out of position on the intel application. In general, the AMD socket cpu cooler mounting systems are better it seems.

No, the heatsink itself is the same for both platforms. The AMD bolt through mounting system is wider I think and provides more stability. Some people have complained about the heatsink twisting out of position on the intel application. In general, the AMD socket cpu cooler mounting systems are better it seems.

Except that AMD in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes:, adopted a rectangular bolt pattern for their heatsink retention and only lets you mount the heatsink in one direction. On my M3A79T board, that had the TRUE pointing towards the psu or vid card, which isn't ideal for cooling in either layout. With the Intel mounting system you have much more flexibility in mounting choices because Intel chose an square mounting pattern for both LGA775 and LGA1366. And you can get a better mount on an Intel system by using the washer method or by simply putting a couple of small strips of duct tape across the top of the base like I did. Then it won't rotate or move around easily.

Except that AMD in their infinite wisdom :rolleyes:, adopted a rectangular bolt pattern for their heatsink retention and only lets you mount the heatsink in one direction. On my M3A79T board, that had the TRUE pointing towards the psu or vid card, which isn't ideal for cooling in either layout. With the Intel mounting system you have much more flexibility in mounting choices because Intel chose an square mounting pattern for both LGA775 and LGA1366. And you can get a better mount on an Intel system by using the washer method or by simply putting a couple of small strips of duct tape across the top of the base like I did. Then it won't rotate or move around easily.

I also have the M3A79-T mobo, and can only mount my TRUE 120 horizontally, blowing towards the top of my case. I have the CM 690 case though, which has one 120mm exhaust fan in the rear of the case, and two 120mm exhaust fans on the top of the case. So with me mounting my TRUE 120 horizontally blowing towards the top of the case, actually offers better cooling for my case. For the TRUE is exhausting the air towards two 120mm fans in the top of the case, instead of just one 120mm fan in the rear of the case.

Last edited:
Mudd, When you think about it, the up down isn't too horrible. I mean sure you want back exhaust, but if you have an antec 900 or 1200 or any other top fan case with bottom mount psu, that could be a dream. Just pumps the hot air right how it wants to move... Up.

Yeah, if you have a case with a top fan. The point I'm making though is that AMD's mounting method limits the flexibility of mounting heatsinks compared to Intel's solutions. In my case, the orientation of the heatsink was not optimal in the old Antex SX1240 I have my AMD system set up in. I was going to see how well my 940BE would perform under high end air before putting it under water, but it just wasn't worth the trouble to even try it since it would give me a less than optimum testing condition with this case. With water, the mounting method doesn't have any downside at least. ;)

The point made about the inflexibility of the AMD mount is a valid one. With my case, I don't even have a fan in the back. And, originally, the only exhaust at the top of the case was the 80mm psu fan. So, here a while back I gutted an old CDROM, cut a hole in the bottom of it and mounted a 120mm fan in it for some exhaust out of the top front drive bay. Works pretty good but I felt a need for more exhaust at the top so I recently cut another hole in the top of the case and mounted another 120mm fan. Until I get my mobo back from gigabyte RMA I won't know if it helps any but my the left half of my TRUE pull fan was only about 2.5 inches from the bottom of the psu.

The point made about the inflexibility of the AMD mount is a valid one. With my case, I don't even have a fan in the back. And, originally, the only exhaust at the top of the case was the 80mm psu fan. So, here a while back I gutted an old CDROM, cut a hole in the bottom of it and mounted a 120mm fan in it for some exhaust out of the top front drive bay. Works pretty good but I felt a need for more exhaust at the top so I recently cut another hole in the top of the case and mounted another 120mm fan. Until I get my mobo back from gigabyte RMA I won't know if it helps any but my the left half of my TRUE pull fan was only about 2.5 inches from the bottom of the psu.

Damn with all that work and problems, you would be better off just saving up and buying a $50 Antec Three Hundred case or sometime along those lines.

Damn with all that work and problems, you would be better off just saving up and buying a $50 Antec Three Hundred case or sometime along those lines.

Hey, I thought that's what we were all about here: creative, resourceful, do-it-yourself. Where's your jury rigging spirit?

Hey, I thought that's what we were all about here: creative, resourceful, do-it-yourself. Where's your jury rigging spirit?

I know....but a case with one 80mm fan? Must be an old case. Im just saying, I would rather save up a lil money and buy another cheap case like the Antec Three Hundred that has excellent cooling for the price. (1) 140mm fan + (4) 120mm fans

But what ever floats your boat:beer:

A lot of my equipment, including this case, has come as a hand me down from my brother -in-law who, until recently, made good money and was single. He always bought the latest cutting edge stuff and would give me his cast offs. And, yeah, I hope to buy a better case before a lot longer. Thanks for the suggestion of the Antec 300. It looks like it would fit my need. Got a birthday coming up soon. But, a better psu is first on the agenda.

Back