• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bum GTX 285 SSC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Ok heres the short version.

Foxconn Mars, X3220 G0 @ 3.6ghz, 2 x2 GB Mushkin PC2-8500, EVGA GTX 285 SSC.

Computer has been around for about 1 year minus the GPU. It was an upgrade a few days ago.

Ive reinstalled drivers several times and I get the same nonsense. Im going to try some benches on a clean reinstall without any other garbage, but...I wouldnt expect a 40% reduction in score from that!!

With this setup, at stock, I should be getting 17K+ on 3D06 and isntead Im getting 12K.

Anyone see anything obvious? Im mostly just fishing for info right now as tonight Im going to do a clean reinstall and do some more testing.....

Stock2853D06.jpg

BUS Interface PCI-E x16 at x4?????

Well that right there isnt any good. Any suggestions on what is causing that or how to troubleshoot it?

Hmmm... I posted a question on another thread regarding putting a GPU into the slot furthest from the socket as compared to closest and was told there is zero difference......I wonder if the Mars only has X4 capacity on the slot furthest from the socket and that is it?

Mobo is a Mars. Foxcon Mars.

Manual says it has PCIe x16 x2 though.

Hmmmm.

I might have to wait and see until I get the rest of my WC gear in this week and put it together the right way in the correct slot, or put together a separate bench station to test on...

Any other suggestions/ideas?

The blue PCIe slot is a 'x16 slot' but electrically it's only x4. You'll have to move the card to the red slot to get the most out of it.

The blue PCIe slot is a 'x16 slot' but electrically it's only x4. You'll have to move the card to the red slot to get the most out of it.

That what I thought.

Top slot (closest to socket) is occupied by my 8800 GTS G92 that I am upgrading, but I dont have my GT200 adaptor for my MCW-60 yet so I pulled the 8800 and rested it on the slot (insulating with paper towels to prevent connections and kept the current loop intact so I could play with the 285 for now.

Ill be getting my WC in this week and Ill set it up for real and hopefully solve this issue.

I thought it was going to be a problem putting the 285 in the slot furthest from the socket, and I posted a thread and got what appeared to be replies from knowledgable/reputable folk but I guess not!

I posted a thread and got what appeared to be replies from knowledgable/reputable folk but I guess not!

I found the thread in question, and while I won't link it here to avoid troubles, the person who answered is neither knowledgable nor reputable ;)

Thx for the info guys. The people that replied in this thread I have known here on OCF for years (since I joined) and know your guys info is spot on.

Thx for clearing up my confusion.

All the P35's that have two PCIe slots are x16/x4 all the time.

P45 is x16 OR x8/x8 depending if more than 1 slot is occupied.

All the P35's that have two PCIe slots are x16/x4 all the time.

Yea I knew this at one point and even have a post of mine discussing this from 2/08, but somewhere along the line I forgot about it :p

Thanks again :)

As well isn't the card in the first PCI-E slot designated as the primary video card?

CPU same overclock as has been 24/7 since I built this rig.

Replumbed the WC and put the 285 in the x16 PCIe slot.

285 all stock and this was the first run after I reinstalled the drivers.

Now THATS more like it!

Thanks for reassuring me guys :)

PS - So far loving the temps too. On stock air 3D06 peak was 75ish for the 285. With the MCW60/D5 Vario/PA 120.3/D-tek FuZion a VERY quick prelim testing showed

P95 sm fft peak at 50/50/49/49 but only after 2-3 mins.

285 peaked at 40C on 3D06. A volt modded 1.48v Vgpu 8800 GTS G92 maxed at 45 with all of the same WC components except with a FC EK block :)

Im anxious to see how this MCW60 handles Furmark though.

Thanks again!

stockworkingwell.png

Last edited:
Back