• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

??? Hard Drive prob ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0-danny-boy

Registered
Hi All
Today i tried putting a new (old) Hard drive in my computer. It's and IDE drive witch I though would be good just to store photos and music on. It says on the sticker that it's a Hitachi Deskstar 250GB HD. When I formated the HD it would only let me format 72.7 GB of usable space?? whats gone wrong? I've tried both quick and not quick formating, but still only 72.7 GB of free space, yet its a 250Gig drive.:bang head
Please Help. :beer:

ps. there's prob some noobish step I've forgotten, just say!

Hi All
When I formated the HD it would only let me format 72.7 GB of usable space?? whats gone wrong? I've tried both quick and not quick formating, but still only 72.7 GB of free space, yet its a 250Gig drive.:bang head

Are you doing this in vista using the disk management console?

What filesystem are you trying to format it to? NTFS? FAT32?

Since it's IDE, have you looked at jumpers to see if a jumper is set to restrict disk space usage?

perhaps you have partitions set up on the drive that you aren't aware of? check in disk management to see if there are other partitions on the drive.

Scan using the Hitachi tools, see what it says for size.

Back