• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asrock AOD790gx build, underperformance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vapolution

Problem: Experiencing low fps in company of heroes and other games of similar release era, when posted benchmarks of similar systems have shown far better performance. Also, score on 3dmark06 with base settings is 9200. I've overclocked the 4830 "Sapphire" to 650 gpu clock, 950 memory clock without any significant increase in performance. Next the CPU "7750 Black edition 2.7 stock" was OC'd to 3.0 by setting the multiplier to 15x. This also did not seem to increase performance for Company of Heroes nor 3Dmark06. Ive made sure that ram is running in 1066 mode via bios. The following are my system specs

Asrock [AOD790gx/128M] mother board.
KUMA 7750 black edition 2.7 processor
550w PSU
300gig SATA maxtor hdd
Radeon HD 4830 512 mb Pci express 2.0 16x
2x [Kingston HyperX 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 1066] set to ganged in bios
sony dvdrw
80mm fan intake front of case, 120 mm fan blowing out rear, 80mm blowing in side directly on cpu heatsink, 80mm intake for 4830.
Temps as read by several utlities read an average 29c to 40c for 0 and 1 cpu cores. GPU temps never read above 50c.

My major question, what performance this community thinks I should reasonably expect from my setup, using Company of Heroes and other equivalent games as a common refference.

Thanks for your time.

Asrocks, in my experience, are stable but not top performers.

My 939dual worked fine but never benched or o/c'd well.

Asus/gigabyte/dfi/msi/abit(well havent seen much from abit lately) are the top performers for a given chipset, in my experience. But you need to research each purchase specifically, especially the mobo since it is the most critical component.

You CPU over-clock sounds normal so I can't see a problem there (I'm assuming you have CPU-Z, Everest, etc. confirming the OC).

You might consider posting this in the video section as well ... :)

I am currently doing a AOD790GX build, and was wondering how well the Sunbeam Core Cooler fit on the board. I am using OCZ reaper memory, and was wondering about fitment issues.

Talon

Chances are the fan is going to cover 2 ram slots. Regular sized ram will fit, but stuff with big heatsinks on them like corsair dominator will not work.
This was the case on my 790gx board in sig

let's not threadjack ;)

and :welcome: to vapolution

Have you checked ALL your drivers to make sure you have the latest? Also, Make sure u update direct X, And another thing u might play with is your sound settings in games.. or try disabling your sound all together temporarily to see if this makes a diff.. i've had problems with sound not jiving with games (not actual output, but stuff u dont see/hear) cause bad stuttering and low fps in some games.. like wow and such.

edit: also, even stock as far as cpu/ram you should be tearing through that game.. i dont have any experience with the 4830's but from what i've read u should be playing that pretty smooth.. is this online gameplay or even in single play mode u get this poor performance?

Sunbeam CCF fits

I have it on my aod790gx. Great mobo if you want to unlock the x3 4th core and overclock.

Back