• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II: competition for i7 or Core 2 Quad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scryer_360

Registered
With so many mainstream tech sites charts out of date, I was wondering where people saw the Phenom II as compared to the Intel offerings. Does Phenom II compete with i7 at all, or is it more of a "this is what AMD needed to take on Core 2 Quad" type processor?

It can compete, but only with price and less of an motherboard required. But basically yeah, it's what AMD needed to take on C2Q.

Saying it competes "in terms of price" is like saying a slow runner competes "in terms of style."

If we're talking about actual PERFORMANCE: It doesn't compete.

Then... once you start overclocking... it gets PEED ON.

REAL PEE!

So to answer your question: No.

AMD needs a real quad core with four, real, usable, FUNCTIONAL cores... that hasn't actually happened yet.

The only way they win now is Phenom II: Overclocked to the moon vs i7/C2Q: Stock speed.

Saying it competes "in terms of price" is like saying a slow runner competes "in terms of style."

It all depends on your needs. If you need the fastest (regardless of cost) then i7 wins, hands down.

If you have highish budget i7 is the best bet.

If you have a low budget, you get more for your cash with AMD,

If you have a medium budget, it could go either way.

It all depends what you are really asking. Are you planning to build a machine? If so, what price and application are you looking at?

If you're asking from an academic point of view the i7 is the fastest at the moment for the vast majority of applications.

These architectures are so different there is no clear answer to that.

If you ask because you build a rig check some benches and choose according to what suits you the best.

P2 caught up with C2 but the die is bigger than C2D unfortuantely for AMD.
I7 was designed to be a server cpu that's where it really shines but the initial price difference came down enough to make it the best choice for workstations as well, in cases it gives the best for your money on the desktop as well but not always.

For desktop even Anandtech (which by some is Intel biased) recommends the 720 can't go wrong for the price. There are occasions when I7 is better to make up for the price difference.

For notebooks there is no I7 only C2D and K8 which makes it rather easy.

For servers K10 was superior to C2D so Intel had to threw 6 cores at AMD's quads to keep up but I7 does what it was meant to do and turned the table. Right now 2 way Nehas match the 4 way Opterons so AMD's turn to threw 6 cores at Intel's I7.

Comparing Intel to AMD is like comparing an Enzo Ferrari to a Dodge Viper. The Ferrari obviously wins, but both are fast as hell compared to a Ford Taurus. Speed is all relative. I'm perfectly happen with AMD as I would also be perfectly happy with a Dodge Viper. There really is no need for an Enzo unless you're a race driver, and there is no need for Intel's Core i7 unless you're name is Peter Jackson and you're producing your next blockbuster movie on your home computer.

Then... once you start overclocking... it gets PEED ON.

REAL PEE!

So to answer your question: No.

AMD needs a real quad core with four, real, usable, FUNCTIONAL cores... that hasn't actually happened yet.

The only way they win now is Phenom II: Overclocked to the moon vs i7/C2Q: Stock speed.

I disagree that price is not a factor. Your system will perform similarly whether you get an i7 920 or a phenom 2 940BE, once overclocked. The i7 will be a tad faster, but the chip is a tad more expensive, the mobo is much more expensive, and ram fast enough to be worth putting in the i7 setup in triple channel is expensive.

Right now the price difference between i7 core setup and P2 one is 150-300 depending on how much yoy skimp on your i7 mobo & ram. Whereas you can just get great cas5 ddr2-1066 and the best 790gx/fx mobos for cheap.
I would almost always rather go with the ddr2 solution and invest the extra money elsewhere. Stepping up to a higher grade video card, or a second card in crossfire, will benefit games more than a few extra % cpu power. Or a slightly bigger monitor, ect.

If you need performance for other cpu intensive things like graphics type work, then I would probably go i7 every time since it has a more significant advantage in raw processing power.

On pure performance without price being a factor though, there is no question nothing AMD has can mess with Intels most expensive chips

Last edited:
I disagree that price is not a factor. Your system will perform similarly whether you get an i7 920 or a phenom 2 940BE, once overclocked. The i7 will be a tad faster, but the chip is a tad more expensive, the mobo is much more expensive, and ram fast enough to be worth putting in the i7 setup in triple channel is expensive.

Right now the price difference between i7 core setup and P2 one is 150-300 depending on how much yoy skimp on your i7 mobo & ram. Whereas you can just get great cas5 ddr2-1066 and the best 790gx/fx mobos for cheap.
I would almost always rather go with the ddr2 solution and invest the extra money elsewhere. Stepping up to a higher grade video card, or a second card in crossfire, will benefit games more than a few extra % cpu power. Or a slightly bigger monitor, ect.

If you need performance for other cpu intensive things like graphics type work, then I would probably go i7 every time since it has a more significant advantage in raw processing power.

On pure performance without price being a factor though, there is no question nothing AMD has can mess with Intels most expensive chips

Oh, I would just LOVE AMD pulling an ace from their sleeve like they did against the Pentium Extremes back there... In the times of which I only remember almost setting a forest fire with my friend. Unfortunately this is the real world though. Getting a i7 Extreme equivalent for 300 $ or so, yum. Anyways, thanks for "backing me up". :beer: Granted, AMD is the budget choice and good for budget gamers mostly... Like me... If someone else pays the bill for you, why not go i7, it's the greatest thing out there atm.

You will learn, Scryer_360, that when you ask an Intel versus AMD question around here the next thing you need to do is DUCK! :D

R7 :beer:

I want to take a Ford GT-KR against the Viper and Ferarri.

Phenom 955 is about to hit the virtual shelves, it might get interesting in our court.

I love my Intels but I really want AMD release something that will surprise the hell out of everyone. I always root for AMD, I loved their stuff back in the day. By back in the day, I mean my Opty 165.
Hmmmmm..... Opty.

No offense, but where have you been? AMD was the first with a "real quad core" and the PhII 940 is up there with the highend C2Q. Yes the i7 beats it, but for best bang for buck AMD are up there near the top.

For the home normal non geek that cant go any further than an installation there is no competition they get what they can afford which in the OEM sector is usually AMD for low end. Now for the guy/gal who must have the best Intel.Now for the rest of us it does not really matter we are going to buy what we want, we know what we are getting and will fight till the end trying to prove our POV.

I wonder how many of you can make out difference between an i7 and PhII if there werent benchmarks. At least in gaming you cant. For rest of the stuff, how does it matter whether SuperPi take 6 seconds more or less to compute ? How does it make a difference when if you save 5 mins encoding a dvdrip. The difference is there, but subtle for the common man. i7 is a very good,powerful CPU, no doubt , but most people just want i7 to have the bragging rights. A Phenom II is more than enough for needs of 99% people, and its cheaper.

IMO if you really got money to splurge buy a pair of SSD's and RAID them ,that'll feel more noticeable.

Back