• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooler Master Prepares Limited CM-690 Pure Black Chassis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

necrokiller

Pretty sure most of the ppl who own the CM690 wouldve done this themselves if they fancy a black interior, like myself. After the Cosmos, now its turn for the RC-690 to be dressed in black. The Cooler Master RC-690 Pure Black is expected to become available in September.

Still worth something for ppl who are too lazy to mod their case on their own.

A rather odd (or stupid) question, but does the interior being black affect the temps? As black being a naturally more absorbant color. I ask coz I have 5x120mm LED fans...so I believe it would affect the temps somehow.

Link

cooler_master_cm690_pure_black_01.jpg
cooler_master_cm690_pure_black_02.jpg
pureblack4.jpg

Last edited:
my friend said that after i told him i sprayed my case black (interior). he said "that's bad. why would you want to do that. your temps would rise."
i was like :( :shrug:
funny thing is he knows little about hardware etc. i'm pretty sure a black interior woudln't increase temps, unless your computer is positioned in front of the sun through a window or something.

that case looks very cool though. black always looks sleeker and more refined than that generic silver/grey. it's the reason i sprayed mine.

The color black is absorbent to light energy, not heat energy.. As is a lighter color, like white. Is reflective to light energy.

Color would only be a factor due to the paint itself. Acting like an insulating layer or absorbing the heat energy and storing it.. It would be the paint itself, not the pigment color. Which would be so minuscule inside a computer case. To not really care about. It is not preventing/stopping the transfer of energy. Like a heat sink would be.

Last edited:
The color black is absorbent to light energy, not heat energy.. As is a lighter color, like white. Is reflective to light energy..

Yeah Im aware of that which is why I mentioned I had 5 LED fans in my case.

Any specific kind of paint you know would be best to paint the interior black as im thinking of doing it myself? Any tips or suggestions?

i used black matte paint. i hate that shiny stuff lol. this also means i dind't spray a protective layer over my black paint, so it's a bit fragile...just a bit though

I would use green scotch bright pads to scuff it up first. Would make the job so much easier than paper. Due to the nooks and crannies of the innards.
Then use Duplicolor primer and paint. It is an inexpensive and easy to find brand. Do not mix brands for best results.
You really do not need to prime first, but it makes for much nicer and durable paint jobs. Since you may, be thinking flat black.. I would be and am. Sometime this summer, my 690 is getting painted. . I suggest dark primer. Not the light Grey. An etching primer would be a good pick, but costs a little bit more.

Lay the paint on a clean surface properly cleaned. Oh, I must of said cleaned more than once.. Dangit, I said cleaned yet again.
They make a wash specific for paint prep. To rid it of oils from your skin and dust. If not, you can get an uneven surface, or it will not adhere like it should. Or you can get what is called orange peeling. Ever seen a paint job that looked dimpled or had the surface like an orange skin.. There is also fish eye. Which is from not being clean. It looks like a divet/spot/hole in the paint? Not clean..

Once you get that done. Simply use light coats building it up until your done. I would rather have 5 coats of light paint application. Than one or two coats of heavy application. Plus not only will it look more natural. You have less chance of the paint sagging. Which is also called a run. Trust me, light coats are worth the time and effort. in both how it ends up and the ability to sand in between coats faster.

For the best results. Sand with a really fine grit in between coats. Letting everything dry in between coats. Just don't rush it, reading the specific instruction on the spray cans.

One thing I am poking around about. Is to see if there is a product that is spray on and sound deadening in the color of black.. Hopefully not like $40 a can. Since for the inside of the CM690, I estimate two spray paint cans. For a good flat black finish. One can of primer would work.

Taking the time to do it right. Will give you a fantastic result. Plus be durable for a very long time. They do sell sealer that is not shiny. But if you do it right and let it dry properly or cleaning between coats. Once you clean, do not touch the surface.. You may not have to seal it. Let the stuff dry proper. That is the biggest mistake non-painters make. Rushing the paint, when all it does is waste all the efforts for a nice finish. All brands of paint I ever seen had dry times on the cans. Plus temperatures to get a good finish.

Last edited:
I would use green scotch bright pads to scuff it up first. Would make the job so much easier than paper. Due to the nooks and crannies of the innards.
Then use Duplicolor primer and paint. It is an inexpensive and easy to find brand. Do not mix brands for best results.
You really do not need to prime first, but it makes for much nicer and durable paint jobs. Since you may, be thinking flat black.. I would be and am. Sometime this summer, my 690 is getting painted. . I suggest dark primer. Not the light Grey. An etching primer would be a good pick, but costs a little bit more.

Lay the paint on a clean surface properly cleaned. Oh, I must of said cleaned more than once.. Dangit, I said cleaned yet again.
They make a wash specific for paint prep. To rid it of oils from your skin and dust. If not, you can get an uneven surface, or it will not adhere like it should. Or you can get what is called orange peeling. Ever seen a paint job that looked dimpled or had the surface like an orange skin.. There is also fish eye. Which is from not being clean. It looks like a divet/spot/hole in the paint? Not clean..

Once you get that done. Simply use light coats building it up until your done. I would rather have 5 coats of light paint application. Than one or two coats of heavy application. Plus not only will it look more natural. You have less chance of the paint sagging. Which is also called a run. Trust me, light coats are worth the time and effort. in both how it ends up and the ability to sand in between coats faster.

For the best results. Sand with a really fine grit in between coats. Letting everything dry in between coats. Just don't rush it, reading the specific instruction on the spray cans.

One thing I am poking around about. Is to see if there is a product that is spray on and sound deadening in the color of black.. Hopefully not like $40 a can. Since for the inside of the CM690, I estimate two spray paint cans. For a good flat black finish. One can of primer would work.

Taking the time to do it right. Will give you a fantastic result. Plus be durable for a very long time. They do sell sealer that is not shiny. But if you do it right and let it dry properly or cleaning between coats. Once you clean, do not touch the surface.. You may not have to seal it. Let the stuff dry proper. That is the biggest mistake non-painters make. Rushing the paint, when all it does is waste all the efforts for a nice finish. All brands of paint I ever seen had dry times on the cans. Plus temperatures to get a good finish.
LOL. so true, your last sentence.
i tried putting my hardware back in after 1 hour. so wrong i was!
waited till the next day and it was a lot better.

Thats a hefty load of info and work to do since its my first time. Ill take my time to do it. Thanks alot for all the info.

Back