• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8400 Wolfdale

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michta35

I bought an 8400 last year with an intel 38 extreme motherboard. However, the board decided to up and quit about a month ago (3 beep code memory failure) However, all tests show that it is not the ram at all as all 4 sticks tried work well in other systems around the house. Bottom line is I can RMA the board or pick up a cheapo board for $42 to run the 8400.

My goal and reason for the post is to get some recs on a good cheap board. I already have replaced this setup with a new main cpu, but I wanna get this 8400 up and running and see if I can make a run for 4ghz and learn how to OC some intel stuff.(Have my first AMD OC running now)

Any suggestions or recs please let me know.

Can you get the board to POST at all? Just wondering if you tried stripping everything but the CPU, GC and 1 stick of ram, just enough to get you in the bios.

If not, that board is a good choice. Any of the P5Q series should get you to 4ghz.

Yea, the ram works on other motherboards. The cpu works on another motherboard that has a 7400 in it for the lady. Everything works outside of the motherboard. I get the 3 beep code 64k memory failure. I can't get it to post even after cmos rest and even removing the battery. It's an extreme intel board too.

It's luck of the draw I think mostly. I had two of them, one could reach 4.12 but not be stable under water and the other could only reach 3.8 stable under water. Temps were never really an issue, but under air I can't say.
I think most people usually get 3.8-4ghz+ so you just might make it.

I wouldn't skimp on the HSF because you can always use it on another main rig. I reccomend the TRUE. The zalmans aren't bad and are a little cheaper. Maybe a freezer pro but that's about as cheap as I would go.

Back