• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR newbie question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slvrcvc

Registered
This my first time posting here so pls excuse my ignorance,

I was wondering if a DDR graphics card (GF2 Ti) would work on a regular Mobo (Iwill KK266+)

and if 256MB DDR RAM Mushkin would work on the same Mobo.

OR would I have to use a DDR mobo ?? (EPoX 8KHA + KT266A Retail DDR)

your answers and/or comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for explaining this to me cause I'm trying to decide what components I would buy for a nice gaming system. :)

You'll be fine with both and if you're about to buy, the EPoX is a much better board than the IWill.

The graphics card will work with either board, and will work with any board with an agp slot.

I believe the Iwill board you mentioned is a sdram board isn't it?

If you want to use DDR memory you need a DDR board.

DDR ram is 184 pin while SD Ram is 168, so they aren't compatible.

If your building a rockin' gaming system then I'd go with the Epox and DDR memory. Mushkin can be a bit expensive so if you want a slightly chaeper alternative check out Crucial, their memory is on par with Mushkin. Some might say better.

Welcome to the forums and don't hesitate to ask anything else. :)

slvrcvc said:
This my first time posting here so pls excuse my ignorance,

I was wondering if a DDR graphics card (GF2 Ti) would work on a regular Mobo (Iwill KK266+)

and if 256MB DDR RAM Mushkin would work on the same Mobo.

OR would I have to use a DDR mobo ?? (EPoX 8KHA + KT266A Retail DDR)

your answers and/or comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for explaining this to me cause I'm trying to decide what components I would buy for a nice gaming system. :)

Yes...the vid-card is good...
But the board is sdram...I had that same board before I upgraded to the Epox8K7A....& yah, alot better of a system with DDR all the way through.

Back