• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hand down to mom PC upgrade worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Juan71287

MOM NEEDS A PC FOR WORK. SHE NEEDS 2 MONITORS AND MINIMAL LAG/DELAY AS SHE REMOTE DESKTOPS OTHER COMPUTERS WHERE SHE WORKS AT THE SAME TIME.

HI all. So a while ago I build my first PC ever :)... YEY! (I still suck, I still come here for help cause I just can't learn anything LOL)

My mom recently saw mine and wants one like it. She honestly just wants the fancy case with the lights :)! She cants afford it as it was expensive, so I wanted to see if maybe I can give her my old one and maybe change the case for her to look cooler and maybe some parts depending on your opinions.

What my OLD PC has:
CPU Intel - Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard ASRock - Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory Team - Xtreem 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2666 Memory
Storage Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power

I was thinking of changing a few things and wanted to hear some opinions on what anyone would recommend. The CPU Cooler is not working correctly, so I am changing that for sure. I feel like everything else should work fine for her as she just needs it for work stuff like MS Office things while RDP to other computers.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you think I should throw this away and burn it, that is advice as well :) LOL.

Thanks.

EDIT 11/13/2017 @ 11:14AM:
Purchased this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XB53D41/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes with 3 RGB Fans, so I am sure my mom will like the colors lol :)

EDIT 11/13/2017 @ 5:27AM:
So since my MOBO does not have any RGB headers, I was wondering what can I get to put some lights on my moms PC? I was thinking "Phanteks PH-LEDKT_COMBO RGB LED Strip Combo Set" ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...08&cm_re=rgb_led_strip-_-11-984-008-_-Product )

Anyone have any better ideas or know if this WILL or Won't work?

Thanks.

Last edited:
That is actually a nice damn case :(... Wish I could just get it right now... but I need a few days to decided... Oh well.

So, you think its good system right? SHould hold up whatever she throws at it. I want to know from more experienced people than me, so thanks so much for your info :)

That system is better than most systems used by businesses for run of the mill office computers. If you want a new cooler that performs well and is relatively cheap look at the Scythe Fuma.

That system is better than most systems used by businesses for run of the mill office computers. If you want a new cooler that performs well and is relatively cheap look at the Scythe Fuma.
Agreed! Thats still pretty darn good setup. If anything do a clean windows install and it should be just fine.

why doesnt her work provide a pc for her to remote in with. This all sounds funny to me.

She is starting her own business, and she remotes to other locations to do whatever she does LOL. I don't know. I just want her to have something that will work for her better without having to spend so much money :)

Thanks everyone for your input :). Much appreciated.

don't forget, for remoting you need a good, fast, wired internet connection.

I work for the cable company LOL, nothing better in her area. They call it an advanced DSL, vDSL LOL.

I have a Phanteks LED strip in my case. They're nice and bright, but they change colors, don't have "shades of in between", at least not in my case (color changes are just a button on the front panel). Nice quality strip, though.

Nice case, BTW!

So after the case I ordered failed (it was way too big for the m-ITX, plus the fan RGB needed a controller that was outdated not even Thermaltake sold anymore, I decided to go another route. I got the Phanteks SHIFT!).

The images are super huge and I don't know how to make them small :(

See more here:
Tomorrow I will upload a video of finished work. I only took 1 video, idiot me.

Attachments

• vlCT5Im.jpg
    vlCT5Im.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 42
MOM NEEDS A PC FOR WORK. SHE NEEDS 2 MONITORS AND MINIMAL LAG/DELAY AS SHE REMOTE DESKTOPS OTHER COMPUTERS WHERE SHE WORKS AT THE SAME TIME.

HI all. So a while ago I build my first PC ever :)... YEY! (I still suck, I still come here for help cause I just can't learn anything LOL)

My mom recently saw mine and wants one like it. She honestly just wants the fancy case with the lights :)! She cants afford it as it was expensive, so I wanted to see if maybe I can give her my old one and maybe change the case for her to look cooler and maybe some parts depending on your opinions.

What my OLD PC has:
CPU Intel - Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard ASRock - Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory Team - Xtreem 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2666 Memory
Storage Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Case Corsair - 250D Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power

I was thinking of changing a few things and wanted to hear some opinions on what anyone would recommend. The CPU Cooler is not working correctly, so I am changing that for sure. I feel like everything else should work fine for her as she just needs it for work stuff like MS Office things while RDP to other computers.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. If you think I should throw this away and burn it, that is advice as well :) LOL.

Thanks.

EDIT 11/13/2017 @ 11:14AM:
Purchased this case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XB53D41/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comes with 3 RGB Fans, so I am sure my mom will like the colors lol :)

EDIT 11/13/2017 @ 5:27AM:
So since my MOBO does not have any RGB headers, I was wondering what can I get to put some lights on my moms PC? I was thinking "Phanteks PH-LEDKT_COMBO RGB LED Strip Combo Set" ( https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...08&cm_re=rgb_led_strip-_-11-984-008-_-Product )

Anyone have any better ideas or know if this WILL or Won't work?

Thanks.

Wow if you are going to toss this LMK I will pay for shipping for some parts .
A 4670k is still really fast ( what is your new CPU ) , I still love mine and will more than likely be still using it 2 years from now .

I put the parts in the new case. I still went with the same parts, just changed the CASE, AIO, and power supply as it was too big for that case.

I also got a $20 RGB cable with 4 pin connector from Amazon, supper glued it to the RGB controller the case had, tapped it, and it worked perfectly. Didn't have to buy them phanteks RGB that were like 2 small pieces. Go 5M of this, lol.

1BzmzVP.jpg

Cb67lX7.jpg

Back