• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mineral Oil HTPC question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boulard83

Im about to build an HTPC for my 46" samsung 1080P.

I already have a Foxconn 965 mobo, PentiumD 805, 3gb DDR2 667ram, 450W PSU.

I only need a GPU and i think ill go with an HD4770 or something like that + a WD caviar 640.

The MOBO+TRAY+PSU are already mounted to a Plexiglass and ready to have fun !

My queston is about the OIL. What can i use ? ive find that the Crystal Clear 70T oil used by PUGET seems to be the best one. But can i use another kind of oil, that can be found anywhere near in the city ? any idea anyone !

THX alot.

I was going to have a go as a bored project stunt... but the wise here could not back the science.

its a trick really, not a viable long term idea :-/

you would still have to device a mechanism to cool it?

you dont need a mechanism, just a big enough pool of oil for the PC to sit in. THe only problem is, the oil will a) smell b)deteriorate and smell worse over time

Well clearly you have assembled some old parts and ready to do this , so saying something like its not worth it dont do it wont help but it is still the first thing am gonna say .

If its just an experiment use cheapest stuff u can find , if its something u want to keep for a while and impress people use none organic and seal it well .

Its for the livingroom, near my 46" tv, so yes it'ill look nice. Ive read alot about it, like on the puget site. the OIL ive listed is ODORLESS... its FOOD grade oil.

Well ill do it for sure. My ZERO GEEK girlfirend also want this thing in the livingroom ! She think its gona looks great.

Ima do it. ill go ask in some Food companies if they have any Oil that looks like the one i need. ODORLESS and CLEAR !

uh.....food grade oil is still a biological product, which degrades and.....smells bad!

Mineral oil or later issues will get smelly I think. Looked up that oil, it aint cheap at $80 for 5 gallons. But thats the ONLY way to go, quality mineral oil, food grade or not. It won't degrade.

I do remember reading on thier experiments. Their first one was in the lobby and the secretary used it. Mind you this was a few years ago, so the PC wasn't near as heat gerating as todays PCs. She could use it all day and temps would be fine. But if she forgot to turn it off at the end of the day, the next AM it was too warm and they would have to shut it down. It's cooldown was a very slow process with no active cooling. They ended up adding a rad to it later for 24/7 operation. with a pump, not sure if they had fans on the rad. They did put a bubbler to help move the liquid, pretty bubbles, looks neat.

So if your looking for a 24/7 setup, I don't think it's gonna work. Sooner or later the oil will get so high it's ambient temp will give you problems.

Ill probably use a Pump-rad (2x120 low RPM) for cooling the oil.

I can spend like 500$ on this HTPC, its not gonna kill me.

As i told, ill go to a local Food factory to know if they can have similar oil for a cheaper price, i know the shop manager so its not an issue. Just hope they order something similar !

Back