• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me perfect my noob HTPC Build please? :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks guys, back to a Green then... is there a special way to configure the machine to use S3 sleep? Or is it just the standard sleep setting in Control Panel Power Options?

for some reason I could have sworn one of my boards came with its bios set to S1 as the default sleep. That one has the power LED blinking and the fans spinning while in sleep mode. If that can't be configured in windows, you would need to change it in the BIOS. S3 is best for HTPC imo.

OK, last question - order being placed in 24 hours...

Can I run the output of my cable box through my HTPC, so the TV can always be on the same input for cable, dvd and stored media? If so what proudct please?

The short answer is not really.

Not with HDMI anyway, unless HDCP has been broken and I don't know about it. If you wanna screw around with a component or composite capture card, you could probably rig something up, but it's easier to just hit the 'HDMI' button on your TV remote when you want to switch ;)

Ah, thought so from my googling... seems pretty crazy that you can't though. Ah well fingers crossed for the next couple of years. Then.

Order finalised. Thanks everyone for all of your help... I'll add some pictures and update any problems i have when I am done.... but delivery to the Cayman Islands is a bit of a pain so that'll be about a month.

As with gun control, media DRM only hurts law abiding consumers. I wish I could buy a program to can rip and organize my DVD collection automatically, but nooo...

OK, last question - order being placed in 24 hours...

Can I run the output of my cable box through my HTPC, so the TV can always be on the same input for cable, dvd and stored media? If so what proudct please?

As has been said, no --but-- you should really consider adding a programmable remote and a USB IR receiver to your order. Something like a Logitech Harmony and perhaps an MCE receiver. These programmable remotes can issue strings of commands to all the devices that make up your system so that when you want to switch 'activites' from say, live TV to watching a movie, all the devices turn on/off as needed and switch inputs automatically. That's how HTPC users do it without having to go through a bunch of set up steps using a mouse/keyboard all the time.

Back