• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kid's Game PC Build ( Dad needs some guidance please )

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What games are they going to be playing? i.e. Minecraft is a lot less intensive than AAA FPS games.

What games are they going to be playing? i.e. Minecraft is a lot less intensive than AAA FPS games.

That info would help! :) Minecraft, Cities Skylines, Rocket League, Overwatch, the likes of these.

Okay, so a good mix of games. I'd go with a 1060 instead of the 970.
The i5-6500 comes with an OEM cooler, I'd just use it since you won't be overclocking. There's also no way you'll get a 212 EVO in the SG05.

Okay, so a good mix of games. I'd go with a 1060 instead of the 970.
The i5-6500 comes with an OEM cooler, I'd just use it since you won't be overclocking. There's also no way you'll get a 212 EVO in the SG05.

I would take the money saved on the cooler and put it towards 16 GB of RAM.

I would go for larger monitor. You can get a decent 23-24" monitor for that same price.

I would go for larger monitor. You can get a decent 23-24" monitor for that same price.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at 22" monitors due to the shallow depth of the table this will sit on.

the cooler will not fit as atm said, the 1060 is the way to go or a used 980, other than that it looks good to me.

I'd definitely get 16GB of RAM. I'd also bump up to a 6600k for the 15 dollar difference. I know you're not overclocking, but you'd get slightly more bang per buck out of the 6600k.

Also - if you get the CM 212 (keep this in mind for any heatsink too) you might have a hard time fitting the Ripjaws in. Depending on how far the memory slots are from the CPU will determine this. If I had gotten RAM that had larger shields like the Ripjaws they would have never fit under the CM 212 on my motherboard. You shouldn't run into this issue with a stock cooler though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at 22" monitors due to the shallow depth of the table this will sit on.

To me, "depth" means distance from front to back. How would the larger monitor have a negative impact on that?

Back