• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4k/60Hz HTPC Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Hi Everyone,

So I am in the process of putting together a parts list for a new HTPC. The goal is to make a future proof HTPC which can do the following:

• 4k @ 60Hz (HDMI 2.0 needed)
  • HDCP 2.2 compatible (netflix 4k streaming)
  • HDR
  • Onboard graphics
  • Quiet
  • mITX form factor (small)
  • Budget $500-600
  • Ideally play UHD Blu-rays from an optical drive

None of the current intel CPUs (except Gemini Lake) handle HDMI 2.0 from the onboard graphics so I decided to return to my old roots and build and AMD system. Most of the Intel boards convert the DP to HDMI 2.0 via an LSPCON chip which has given many people headaches. The Ryzen 2400G seems to be the ideal candidate for an HTPC with the built in Vega 11 GPU. The Ryzen 2400G supports HDMI 2.0 on most of the current motherboards so that is a huge plus. The one major drawback from the AMD cpu is that it seems the DRM for UHD Blu-ray playback only works with the Kaby Lake Intel CPUs, I will probably pass on this requirement.

Here is what I have come up with:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($123.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($99.88 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($60.84 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG - WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $676.64

In this build I have dropped UHD blu-ray and just put a regular Blu-ray drive. The PSU may be overkill but I am a big Seasonic fan, I may drop it down to a 550W.

My questions:

1. Will this build support HDCP 2.2? Does Ryzen 2400G support it now?
  2. Is it true that you need Kaby Lake for UHD?
  3. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback!

Are you going to be running the stock heatsink or do you have something else in mind for cooling?

Nice build, but this thread is worthless without pics!!!

Are you going to be running the stock heatsink or do you have something else in mind for cooling?

Nice build, but this thread is worthless without pics!!!

Perhaps you try reading more than the list of components, he is asking for advice/input on a future build. Nothing to take pics of yet...

prices look like they have changed on newegg, i personally wouldnt waste more money on a bigger PSU for a low power setup like this, imo the SS focus 450 is a perfect fit. the M.2 EVO drive is just going to go to waste IMO, i would swap to the 2.5in sammy 250gb and you save 30 bucks too. if this is a true medie pc build and not a im going to game on this HTPC, get the cheaper DDR4-2400 ram. found this
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12442/amd-plans-playready-3-support-for-polaris-and-vega-gpus-in-2018
and
https://hothardware.com/news/amd-netflix-4k-support-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-drivers

after looking at the cost of the PC, IMO your better off using a ROKU 4k box and buying a 4k BD player. that is if you dont need to surf the net on this HTPC box and this is purely for streaming 4k and 4k disc.

Back