• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please review my build - Ryzen 5 3600 - Build Priority is Quiet > Gaming > Value

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GreenSmoke

Please review my build - Ryzen 5 3600 - Build Priority is Quiet > Gaming > Value

I am looking to price out a new build and would like your opinions on things to change or any suggestions you may have.

My priorities are:

1. Quite - I want to buy more quiet parts that maybe don't produce as much heat to minimize the overall noise.
  2. Gaming - I play Smite, Cities Skylines, and Civilization.
  3. Value - I do wan't to stay under $2,000 in total.
I am open to changing anything, including the CPU. THis is where I am at currently (edited from original post, sorry)
Thanks in advance!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition 43.03 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.09 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard ($289.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($143.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket HTSK 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($181.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Z Video Card ($374.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Silent Base 601 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG 34UM67 34.0" 2560x1080 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Samsung LS27F350FHNXZA 27.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1696.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-02 17:24 EDT-0400

Last edited:
1. Check the specs of the heatsink at its website as well as the case will have specs on what it can fit.
2. Sure.. the GPU specs will tell you what it has. Typically a 2060 has displayport and HDMI connections so you should be set. But check the card and confirm for sure.
3. You will not need to flash the board as you are putting in a 3rd gen ryzen into an X570 board. :)

That said, it looks good to me. If you want save some money, consider a 80 plus gold PSU as the premium for plat/titantium isn't worth it and the cost won't be made up for over a decade (even when running a load for 24/7 - assuming you aren't paying through the nose for electricitiy).

I realize that "free" is a good price but I'm wondering if the 60 Hz refresh rate of the monitors will disappoint you with regard to fps or even tearing?

Are the 2x16GB sticks correct? In your first link, I see 2x8GB sticks of RAM. Can you elaborate on your storage set up?

Sorry, I was messing with the build. I updated the original post and this is where I am at currently:

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Sabrent Rocket HTSK 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($181.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($103.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Samsung LS27F350FHNXZA 27.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)

I switched out the 2x16 for 2x8. I dont think I need 32G.

Storage - I was thinking I would use one for OS and games and the other for storage.

Regarding the Noctua NH-U12S - The review I found say the Mugen 5 Rev B. is quieter. I currently have a Noctua and they rock though.

I realize that "free" is a good price but I'm wondering if the 60 Hz refresh rate of the monitors will disappoint you with regard to fps or even tearing?

I own the monitors now. I have never known different than 60Hz. Ill have to look into something better. I do plan to hand my current PD down, so I will need a new monitor anyway. What do you think about this monitor: LG 34UC89G 34"

Last edited:
Sorry, I was messing with the build. I updated the original post and this is where I am at currently:

PCPartPicker Part List

I switched out the 2x16 for 2x8. I dont think I need 32G.

Storage - I was thinking I would use one for OS and games and the other for storage.

Regarding the Noctua NH-U12S - The review I found say the Mugen 5 Rev B. is quieter. I currently have a Noctua and they rock though.

I own the monitors now. I have never known different than 60Hz. Ill have to look into something better. I do plan to hand my current PD down, so I will need a new monitor anyway. What do you think about this monitor: LG 34UC89G 34"

Looks like a good choice if you are sticking with 1080p and moving to an nvidia card. Response time at 5ms is not great but acceptable given what you are used to. If gaming is your emphasis then the TN panel is what you want but if production is the emphasis then I would look at an IPS panel monitor for better image and color quality.

Looks like a good choice if you are sticking with 1080p and moving to an nvidia card. Response time at 5ms is not great but acceptable given what you are used to. If gaming is your emphasis then the TN panel is what you want but if production is the emphasis then I would look at an IPS panel monitor for better image and color quality.

Do you have a recommendation of a TN panel? I do like the 32". I have never had a curved monitor so I dont know if it really makes a dif either.

Last edited:
I strongly suggest you go to a local electronic store and check out the various types of monitors. 32”, 1080p, imho, is not a nice view up close. A general rule of thumb is, 1080p at 25” or less, 1440p at 27”, and 4K at 32” or larger. If you like 1080p at 32” then ignore me. :D

Do you have a recommendation of a TN panel? I do like the 32". I have never had a curved monitor so I dont know if it really makes a dif either.

The one you linked is a TN panel. You should read this: https://pcmonitors.info/articles/lcd-panel-types-explored/

Most monitors are either TN or IPS. TN is the favorite for gamers because quicker response times and higher refresh rates are available at a reasonable price. IPS panels with quick response times (1-2 ms) and high refresh rates are very expensive.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I strongly suggest you go to a local electronic store and check out the various types of monitors. 32”, 1080p, imho, is not a nice view up close. A general rule of thumb is, 1080p at 25” or less, 1440p at 27”, and 4K at 32” or larger. If you like 1080p at 32” then ignore me. :D

The aspect is 21:9 instead of 16:9 so it's just the horizontal dimension that is longer than the normal 16:9 1080p monitor and since there are more proportionately more horizontal pixels on the one he linked it should be okay. Besides, with a GTX 2060 he won't be able to effectively game with a 4k monitor. 2k probably would be acceptable.

Greensmoke, you'e probably going to have to live with some compromises on your budget when it comes to monitors.

Last edited:
I really don't think PCIe 4.0 storage is necessary, or any PCIe storage for that matter, given your use. You mention both a budget (which you are well under) as well as value. I don't think the value is there for PCIe 4.0 storage unless you're working with a lot of large files (i.e. 4k video). The 660p is a really good value, but I would just leave the rocket be.

I think the choice of a higher end 2060 is unusual since you are coming close to 2060 Super territory and could easily fit that into your budget. This would allow the GPU to likely sustain less load when gaming and thus make less noise. For $25 more it seems like an easy step up https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...super&cm_re=2060_super-_-14-932-174-_-Product

I would also recommend the Radeon 5700 in this price range, however there are no aftermarket cards with coolers that don't suck yet.

Finally, there is always some debate in the realm of the "silent" PC case. I was initially intrigued by this very case, however with PWM (fans can spin nearly silently) there is little need for restrictive panels and noise dampening foam. This generally increases temperatures and fan speeds, leading to higher temps at similarly silent noise levels. My advice is to focus on good airflow, keeping temps and thus fan speeds as low as possible. Please check out this article and re-consider https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/...ses-noise-normalized-thermals-silent-base-601.

I'm also not familiar at all with your choice of air cooler, however your budget easily has room for the top end noctua cooler, which will likely be near silent under most conditions. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168356...a d15&cm_re=noctua_d15-_-35-608-045-_-Product. It does require consideration of clearance for everything else in the case (ram, GPU, side panels, etc). You could also consider a silence oriented closed loop liquid cooler for the CPU, although pump noise can be a concern.

So many good responses. Thank you for all of them!

@Bustos - That is an excellent suggestion and I will do that.

@trents - It sounds like the TN panel is the way to go. I think the one I linked (LG 34UC89G) was IPS though.

@Zerileous - The main reason for the PCIe 4.0 storage is noise. I also like to think I am getting the best load times in Civilization and Hearts of Iron since I like to save and reload PVE games frequently. I need to add a monitor so I think I will pare down to only the 660p, removing the 2nd SSD. I also address your other points in my revised build below.

@Everyone...

I need to make some room for a new monitor in the build. I want a good monitor that will outlast this first build. I will trust the common gaming wisdom and go for a lower response time, TN panel, and higher refresh. I would definitely like some help picking a good monitor (and compatible video card) because I am basically coming out of the stone age on this topic. I think the general audience is saying for me: TN panel, 2K, 144Hz, and 27". Nobody has mentioned gsync or freesync; should they be a consideration?

This is where I am at now and what I think I need some suggestions for...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Amazon)
--- I am not stuck on this but it does get good reviews for being very quiet. If you still think the Noctua is better, I am on the fence... I prefer air over liquid to avoid the pump noise.
--- Jayz (a Youtube reviewer) says he couldn't tell the dif between crappy ram and good ram in practice. If this is true, maybe I can downgrade the ram to save some money? Suggestions?
--- As mentioned, I removed the 2nd HD. I do like one SSD as they are silent and good performers. I think I can live with 2TB.
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($429.99 @ B&H)
--- I went ahead and went to the 2060 Super as suggested. I found bad reviews on many of them though which does give me pause.
--- I am open to switching to an open case and quieter fans if the cost is comparable. I would like some suggestions on an option for that if anyone has one.
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor ($299.99 @ Amazon)
--- This is a new monitor in the mix. It seemed pretty good for the price but I do welcome other suggestions.

Total: $1841.03

Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-03 12:18 EDT-0400

Last edited:
I need to make some room for a new monitor in the build. I want a good monitor that will outlast this first build. I will trust the common gaming wisdom and go for a lower response time, TN panel, and higher refresh. I would definitely like some help picking a good monitor (and compatible video card) because I am basically coming out of the stone age on this topic. I think the general audience is saying for me: TN panel, 2K, 144Hz, and 27". Nobody has mentioned gsync or freesync; should they be a consideration?
I think freesync is becoming more popular now that nvidia has accepted it and some monitors are "approved" by them. Freesync will work with amd and nvidia. While gsync is an nvidia only thing. I think it would be best to pick a budget for the monitor then select a GPU with the horsepower to properly drive it.

... I think it would be best to pick a budget for the monitor then select a GPU with the horsepower to properly drive it.

How about the combo I have going so far? $730 would be the combined price, consider that the budget for those two items if that helps.

I am still shooting for an overall budget of $2,000 so I want people to be free to save here and spend more elsewhere across all the components.

Back