• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best cooler for a Q9550?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Badas

Registered
title says it all whats the best i can get? money not an issue atm depends what it is and it can't be watercooling :p lol

The Thermalright TRUE Copper Is The Best On The Market But Cost A Lot
Or
The Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Is Good And Cost Half As Much
Or
The XIGMATEK HDT-S1284EE For The Best Price / Performance

thanks finally a reply, and how would those play with an Antec 900 case? tight fit?

The TRUE, Xigmatek s1283, OCZ Vendetta2, or Sunbeam Core Contact Frrezer are all great options and should fit the Antec 900, perhaps with the removal of the side panel fan.

Just gonna bump this instead of making my own very similar thread.

If I have an older Ultra120-A... I was thinking that I'd lap the HS and maybe my Q9550 when it gets in. -- Will about 220 CFM over the heat sink cool (push pull configuration) be enough to keep it cool, or should I be expecting an urge to get myself some better cooling sometime in the near future?

220 cfm? that seems like a lot, i ordered my TRUE but havent received it yet. I also have a Q9550 waiting for it. The TRUE specs (i thought) said it needs around 60CFM? did i read incorrectly?

Nah, man... 60CFM may be fine for a stock chip with the newer models... Mine is just older and I was always rewarded with good results by going overkill with my airflow.

got my TRUE 120 Extreme(lapped). It dropped my Q9550 temps at least 10 degrees C , up to 13 on one core.

did not lap the CPU, push/pull fans, 2 x 120 at 69CFM each. AS5. I think I can get even better temps , the bracket still seems loose.
oc4.jpg

I changed the fans to 110CFM Scythe Slipstreams (37dba) and also changed from Apevia X-Cruiser to Ultra eXo case. got even MORE cooling...I think the cable management HAD to have helped too.
oc8.jpg

oc7.jpg

220 cfm? that seems like a lot, i ordered my TRUE but havent received it yet. I also have a Q9550 waiting for it. The TRUE specs (i thought) said it needs around 60CFM? did i read incorrectly?
i'm running mine with 2 800rpm Scythe Slipstreams. i'm pretty sure they push out 40cfm each.
my TRUE is fitted north-south though, unlike the pics above which are in a east-west orientation.

220cfm is pretty high, way too noisy for me though. the more cfm the better the temps. there's no amount of airflow that won't decrease your temps, but you would stop once you reach the temperature of the outside air.

Back