• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q8200 Overclock problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iexpress

Alright here's the deal. I just built this machine, everything worked great. Upon getting Windows installed I messed around with the Gigabyte EZTune software. When they say EZTune they mean easy, I clicked one button and straight away was overclocked to 2.73GHz. But, software overclocking isn't really my thing.

Just recently I added an OCZ Vertex and 8GB of Wintec RAM, also I upgraded to Windows 7 RC1. With the BIOS settings at stock, I started my initial attempts at overclocking within the bios. Now, for some reason, the machine WILL NOT BOOT over 2.73. EZTune is NOT running on Windows 7 (not even installed) but still, I can't get the machine to post at 2.74 even. The last machine I overclocked was a Core 2 Duo running along with a P5B Deluxe, but I see a lot of new settings in this Gigabyte board that I'm not familiar with. I'm hoping there is just some setting I'm not turning on or off, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Systems Specs:

Processor: Inter Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ Stock (watercooled)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L
Graphics Card: Geforce 9800 GTX+
Power Supply: BFG 550w
Ram: 8.00 GB (4X2 GB)
Harddrive: 30gb OCZ Vertex
Case: Antec 1200

the issue you probably hitting is the different ram. im not sure what your previous config was before the new ram but having 4 slots rather than 2 does put a higher load upon the Northbridge. Try upping the NB voltage a notch and make sure the voltage is at spec for the ram. also back the ram speed to the lowest devider (speed) and see how high you can get the processor speed; THEN try monkeying with the ram. Use Prime 95 (multithreaded) to stress test the comp. best of luck!

Hmmm, I am not totally familiar with the Gigabyte boards but I do know to get anything over 2.8ghz (400x7) on that Q8200 you will need faster than 800mhz ram and at least a
p43 or p45 board. I dont see on your posts anywhere what speed ram you have though but I would sugest pc8000 or better to get above 2.8ghz.

Im not shure why you are having problems with 2.7ghz unless you didnt reduce your ram speed after increasing your bus speed.

Hmmm, I am not totally familiar with the Gigabyte boards but I do know to get anything over 2.8ghz (400x7) on that Q8200 you will need faster than 800mhz ram and at least a
p43 or p45 board. I dont see on your posts anywhere what speed ram you have though but I would sugest pc8000 or better to get above 2.8ghz.

Im not shure why you are having problems with 2.7ghz unless you didnt reduce your ram speed after increasing your bus speed.

With my Asus P5QL Pro, you're required to lower the RAM frequency *before* raising the FSB!

Until I did that, I couldn't even complete a Windows boot at 2.4 Ghz and was impossible to be stable
at higher than 2.1 Ghz and was scared of having a bad motherboard or PSU. LOL.

Last edited:
With my Asus P5QL Pro, you're required to lower the RAM frequency *before* raising the FSB!

Until I did that, I couldn't even complete a Windows boot at 2.4 Ghz and was impossible to be stable
at higher than 2.1 Ghz and was scared of having a bad motherboard or PSU. LOL.

my P5Q dosnt require you to do that, and in any event if you set your ram speed and or multiplyer before your fsb it will change the ram timings.

Back